VIN discrepancy advice

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my grandpa's Aspen put in my name, but I've noticed a discrepancy on the title. There is an extraneous digit inserted into the sequence number at the end on the title, so it had 14 digits instead of 13. VIN on the car is standard but doesn't match. He bought the car brand new in 1980 and never caught it, the title has never been transferred before now. What should I do about it? I've heard horror stories of people with similar problems having to go through hell to get it sorted out at the DMV, I don't want to wait in line for hours only to get turned away. Maybe they won't notice?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Pics? VINs weren't standardized like they are today until 1981. Your problem, unless I'm mistaken, is that North Carolina requires a notarized title and a notarized title application. So if there is a VIN discrepancy, you're potentially soliciting advice on how to commit fraud. On an open internet forum.

Hire an attorney and have the attorney sort it out.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If the rest of the numbers match it should be pretty obvious what the problem is and that its an honest error. Find a local or state dmv info number and check with them.
Its also pretty obvious you're not trying to pull something strange on a high dollar car.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Chrysler vins were standardized then with 13 total. Its the industry as a whole that was not doing things hand in hand. Its clearly a typing error. OP has the original title and the car. The DMV may or may not let it pass. I would try the DMV first and it may just fly. The simple fix and ive done this many times when the body seq. stamping had one out of order is simply goto the nearest state police post and have them do a comprehensive vin inspection where they check dash, door, motor, trans, core support and truck lip vs the title and other paperwork. Its 100% clear that its a clerical/human error and they will sign off without issue. The DMV will love you took the time to make there job easier.

Of my six F body cars three have one number out of order, all flukes, factory errors and the inspectors just are amazed at the lack of quality control vs today. They are not ignorant, they know the difference between a error vs fraud.

Even today cops running a 13 character vin through there system most the time get 'Does not conform to Vin Standards" and comes back with noting but they can run the 13 vin through NCIC to confirm its not stolen or has any issues.

LSM360

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my grandpa's Aspen put in my name, but I've noticed a discrepancy on the title. There is an extraneous digit inserted into the sequence number at the end on the title, so it had 14 digits instead of 13. VIN on the car is standard but doesn't match. He bought the car brand new in 1980 and never caught it, the title has never been transferred before now. What should I do about it? I've heard horror stories of people with similar problems having to go through hell to get it sorted out at the DMV, I don't want to wait in line for hours only to get turned away. Maybe they won't notice?
See if a local Police Department will do a "VIN Verification". Look for that form for your state online. We do them in Florida. See if that'll satisfy DMV for a Title correction.

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
Looks like the DMV fixed it, they just sent me the title in the mail and it looks like they corrected it. I didn't even have to do anything. Took their sweet time but now it's legally in my name and everything checks out. I've been driving the car to work and it runs great, I had to replace the rear pinion seal because it started leaking but it wasn't much trouble. I also replaced the original tiny non-ac slant 6 radiator. It looks like I might need a new heater core too.

Ele115

Reaction score
North Carolina is hit or miss. I went there for auctions for years and found them to be pretty reasonable down to earth people, and I am an out-of-stater. Glad they got you all cheeki breeki. Enjoy that old car.

Back