Wanted: J body Windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I know of where there are a couple of good ones, but how far does this fella want to drive? I don't even want to think about shipping something like that. Also, due to the cars' location, I wouldn't advise attempting removal until the springtime. They're almost guaranteed to crack in the cold weather.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
NoCar340 & Hemi Ram:

The windshields for the J bodies are really hard to find. I have spent the last 2.5 years looking for one at a reasonable price. I have found custom glass at $700-800, but I live in Calgary, and the shipping would add $400-500 to that, with no guarantee that it will arrive uncracked, and I would still have the liability.

I found an intact windshield at the local wreckers this summer. A friend and I went to try to get it out. I had cut about 1/3 of the windshield polyurethane bonding mastic out, starting at the top, above the inside mirror. Just using the Big Olfa cutter knife, slowly working my way around on the passenger side. My friend, who had done some other stuff, then started working on the other side. He pushed on the windshield with one finger while repositioning his knife, and cracke the glass. According to him, he didn't put much pressure on it at all, and crack. This was int he middle of summer. I was disappointed, but didn't get mad or anything, because I figured that if the windshield was that delicate, we would have never been able to get it home in one piece anyway.

Kostas

NoCar340

Reaction score
Yep, the fastest way to break glass is to use glass-removal tools. My good friend blew the back windows out of both our Chargers trying to swap the rear windows, as his had some scarring from when the quarters were installed. He had all the right tools and went to school at WyoTech for both auto body and street rod.

I got a nasty stone chip in the windshield of my Mirada, but had a good one in my stripper LS. Parked both cars, facing south with the windows up, on a sunny day in early June here in the UP. All the guys at the dealership laughed at me, particularly the body-shop guys with all the right tools, telling me how I was going to be stuck with two broken windshields. I swapped them on my lunch hour, by myself, with no cracking or breakage... with just a 4" putty knife. :eusa_dance: It was not my first or last rodeo doing exactly that, and I've yet to crack a piece of glass.

My imp

Reaction score
I miss the old days with the locking spline. Some strong twine, plenty of lube, & a spline tool. Made for a perfect, if not easy job. Only did a few urethane style glasses. Used a Snap-On tool (forgot the number), but it workes great! Never broke one! Took all the windows out of a T Top 'Doba w/o breaking any, & on an F'n cold day!

hemi_ram

Reaction score
I agree; unless it is one of the southern states my friend will have to wait until the weather warms up. A real let down would be trying to remove one of the windshields and have it break and forking over the $$$ you promised the seller.

NoCar340

Reaction score
With them being as hard as they're getting to find, it's a pretty safe bet I'll be dragging the generator and a 500W work lamp with me to pull one, should I need to do so, even after the weather improves. The warmer the better, for both the glass and the glue.

I *might* be able to arrange transport should I be able to secure one. I have a friend that drives truck and he's spending much of his time in the oil fields out that way. He comes home every few weeks, bobtailing in his tractor. I'm sure he's got room in that sleeper to get it out there, but again, it won't be for a couple of months.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The upshot about all of this is, that the J body that I wanted to get the windshield for is still without a good windsheild, but I now have two others. The original car is a Blue base 1982 Mirada, pretty much loaded (except for the tilt wheel, cruise control, and rear amplifier), and is a 318 2BBL. In my efforts to get a windshield for it, I ended up buying a Heather Grey Metallic 1980 Cordoba Crown coupe (loaded, everything except the rear amp), and a red 1981 Mirada CMX (also loaded, with rear amp, no cruise control, and this one is a bucket seat/console car, the other two are 60/40 split bench/column), both 318 4BBL cars. I bought one, hoping to get a windshield for the base Mirada, and ended up with 2 even better cars, both in terms of engines and in terms of condition. I paid less for the Red CMX than I did for the Blue Mirada base car. Life does that, I guess.

Blue car may end up being converted to a Big Block, if I can find a windshield for it.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
The tool to have is an air saw with a sheath around the blade. It cuts the urethane without any stress on the glass whatsoever. Run it around the perimeter, I use dual suction cup style handles, & a friend to lift a windshield out. I've sacrificed enough disc material to the back surgeons! The glass man that had the saw moved to Fla, so I'm back to my old Snappy

72Dodge

Reaction score
I always just use flat razor blades to cut it out. It takes awhile, but I put no stress on the glass until it's completely separated from the car, then it just pulls right out.

If I don't find a windshield by next summer, I'm going to install Lexan for now, but of course that's not street legal, so I'm taking a chance. But what do I do? I have a feeling I'll end up buying a whole parts car just for the windshield eventually, if I can find one with good glass that is a cheap parts car otherwise. Very frustrating. It's the only part I still really need for the car to make it street legal, and it's a pretty important one. Almost would be easier to just give up and sell/part the whole thing than trying to find a good windshield for it, and believe me, I've considered that option, but I'm pretty deep in now.

My imp

Reaction score
The Snap-On tool, if used carefully cuts perfectly. The T handle allows for better control. But it's imperative you keep it sharp. From what I've observed, most glass gets broken after its assumed all the urethane is cut, not when it actually is. The only one I ever broke was a Duster windshield while I was setting it down. Went to lay it flat, & Whooops! Merde!

My imp

Reaction score
I have two parts Imp's I'll be pulling the glass from. Not the greatest, but if something ever happens to mine, I'll be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back