WANTED: manual brake bracket from 79-80 F-body or maybe Diplomat

Status
Not open for further replies.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Contact seller
I had an info seeking thread about this at:

http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/cla...-to-manual-brakes-on-Mirada&p=22306#post22306

but now I'll post up an official wanted thread.

Looking for a manual brake firewall bracket, should be found on 79-80 F-body or maybe an early Diplomat or similar. Could be part # 3766120. At any rate, it looks like the below, and yes the pics are stolen from aspenandvolare.com, obviously I don't have one to take a photo of.

Thanks to badvert65 on aspenandvolare.com for the pics and to 80aspen, NoCar340, slant6billy and High Speed Pursuit here on FMJ for the info.

101_0029.jpg
101_0028-1.jpg
IMG_7288-1.JPG

IMG_7288-1.JPG

101_0028-1.jpg

101_0029.jpg

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
I most often find these on manual-transmission cars, so here's a thought: when scouring swap meets, eBay, craislist, racingjunk, etc. look for clutch-pedal sets and see if the bracket is hanging off the front. If so, inquire as to whether the seller would be interested in separating the set. The bracket is not needed for the 4-speed conversion. I've bought two sets of pedals that still had the manual-brake bracket attached, but I've only got one left and I'm keeping that for when I become GuyWithACar340. :icon_wink:

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah, good thought. I'm not looking too hard yet, just this post, then I'll probably post up the same thing on FABO since a lot of those guys have FMJ's sitting around too. Closer to spring if I don't find one, I'll be hitting up the bay etc. Hope you become GuyWithACar340 soon! I'm always GuyWithTooManyEnginesAndNotEnoughCarsGuy!

72Dodge

Reaction score
Alternatively, in case I end up having to make one of these, if you have one and it's handy, just having the exact measurement from the center of that hole at the top (that looks in-line with the top studs) to the center of the master cyl hole would give me the only measurement I don't have to make this. If I make one, obviously the top studs I can't get wrong, but I just want to make sure I get the correct angle that the master cylinder mounting location would give me.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'm always GuyWithTooManyEnginesAndNotEnoughCarsGuy!
Like two 340s, three 360s, a 318, a 400 and a 440 all lying around with no place to go? I ended up getting rid of one of the 360s, the 318, and the big blocks because it was apparent I was never going to do anything with them... and I still have too many engines.

72Dodge

Reaction score
LOL... I'm not quite to that point yet, but 2 340's 1 360, 1 318 and an extra /6. That's not counting what's in the fleet, so... yeah. That's why I jumped on this Mirada with no engine... I can fix that!

72Dodge

Reaction score
Hopefully wouldn't have to drive anywhere to pick up a brake bracket! But thanks, if I don't find one shortly, I'll give then a call!

badvert65

Reaction score
If you have a power brake booster, you can get the bolt pattern off of the back of it as the booster has 4 studs that go in the same holes. The center hole isn't that critical as it only has to let the rod through.
-Matt

72Dodge

Reaction score
If you have a power brake booster, you can get the bolt pattern off of the back of it as the booster has 4 studs that go in the same holes. The center hole isn't that critical as it only has to let the rod through.
-Matt

It looks like the 2 holes for the manual master are not in the same location as the bottom 2 holes for the power booster were. Maybe the pics are deceiving. If someone who has one of these could get me the measurement from center of a top stud to center of one of the bottom master holes, that would be great. Again, would rather use a factory piece if I can get one, but yes, if I can't, I will make one in the spring.

badvert65

Reaction score
I will try to get it measured by the weekend. I have this on my 79 Volare Wagon.
-Matt

NoCar340

Reaction score
The two bottom holes need to be drilled, and the hole needs to be enlarged for the boot and register on the back of the master cylinder. The top stud holes are the same; install the plate by the top studs and use it as a template for the necessary firewall modifications to clear the master, its studs, and the boot.

badvert65

Reaction score
I changed my 79 Volare wagon from power to manual brakes. I did not need to drill or cut anything. Complete bolt in (factory parts). I got a used firewall plate and a new manual master cylinder (with rod). Everything was a simple nuts & bolts swap.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I changed my 79 Volare wagon from power to manual brakes. I did not need to drill or cut anything. Complete bolt in (factory parts). I got a used firewall plate and a new manual master cylinder (with rod). Everything was a simple nuts & bolts swap.

Yeah, cool. I have everything else, just need the firewall plate and I'm done.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Ugh, hit another snag. The manual master cylinder I ordered does NOT use the same reservoir as the power master did. The holes on the master are about a half inch or more farther apart. I looked everywhere to find a new/refurb manual master with a reservoir (and rod) with no luck. Badvert64, the one you posted on the other site (can't remember the part # offhand) was unavailable everywhere I looked. Oh and by the way, a '79 Volare has a different firewall setup than the '83 Mirada does, hence needing to drill the extra holes to do this conversion, but that's not a problem once I get the right parts.

Anyway... I'm on the hunt for a reservoir to fit this manual master, or an entirely different master.

THIS is exactly why I do my parts hunting way early (winter) otherwise I lose all sorts of time in the spring/summer just hunting for things! :)

72Dodge

Reaction score
Ordered the Dodge Omni smaller power booster and master cylinder. Much easier than deal with all this! :)

badvert65

Reaction score
Just curious, why were you swapping to manual brakes? More room or less weight?
That is a bummer about the manual master cylinder, I hope I never need to replace mine. I also use a manual master cylinder (76 Volare) on my 65 Sport Fury and 65 Belvedere. The 76 M/C is a cast iron one and looks more 'at home' in the engine compartment than the aluminum and plastic ones. I may need to make certain those are still available. Actually, I converted my Fury to Disc brakes back in 1984 or so and only knew about the Volare manual M/C because my brother had a Volare at the time.
Anyway, good luck with your car. Wish I could be more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back