What else should I worry about? "87 5th ave.

Lord Alvin

Reaction score
So far I have replaced the tires, got an alignment, fixed the wiper motor linkage and now I am putting a new radiator and thermostat in my "87 5th ave. It overheated yesterday on the way to work. I knew the radiator was leaking so this wasn't a surprise. It's only been two weeks since I bought the car and I know this is normal since it wasn't on the road for almost six years. What else should I be concerned about? Are there any known issues I should just address before I start driving it daily?

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
replace thermostat prob wouldent hurt ,,ide check for rot on all belts and hoses,check alternator and make sure its running properly ,check throttle return spring and replace if necessary,,ide also replace all bulbs,if there not burnt they prob are well on there way to being burnt out ..personally ide flush rad and tranny and brake lines and replace with all new fluids .and then get a caa membership ,lol or what ever road side assistance program you have in the states ,,wouldent hurt to carry a fire extinguisher in trunk either ,who knows whats been done to the internal wires

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
As ninja said a good inspection of all belts and hoses is a good idea. I'd change the oil and take a look at the tranny fluid. It should be nice and pink with no burnt smell. If you can swing changing the fluid there too I'd go for it. If you're swapping the rad and thermostat then you're obviously changing the coolant. Full tune up (plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel and air filter) and you should be ready to rock. Anything else that needs to be addressed like say shocks will make itself apparent as time goes on. Make sure all your fluids are at the correct levels when all is done. There's a specific way to check the tranny fluid level. Make sure you do it correctly or you'll get a false reading.

Last edited:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
brakes brakes brakes. flush and bleed the brakes turn the drums and rotors new shoes and pads, for the radiator try the heavy duty radiator stop leak at the parts store should be a 5 dollar fix :glasses2:

slant6billy

Reaction score
Lots of good info. Honest 27 yearold car that was in layup. Do you have access to a car lift or a car trailer with an open center section. Get up under there for some goo inspection. Where do you park it? Lay down some while posterboard and with a sharpie mark the car's location. Focus on the differential, brake line junctions, rear wheel cylinders. look for drips on the poster board after driving. My driveway was clean and pure until I started using my volare more often. Don't forget the power steering unit and lines. When you do your coolant, use the 50/50 premix prestone, don't use tap water it has minerals and metals. How does the radiator cap look? I got stung by a new cheap cap last year and am back to the old one. It is all speculation, but a water pump may be soon in the future. I'm surprise your trans ain't leaking externally. That don't mean it isn't internally. Watch your shifts and engagement of gears and note the speed. Where does your torque converter engage? 45 mph to 50? You may just need a zen moment and lay up under the car and stare at the underside every so often. Use good fluids, Like I mentioned the 50/50 prestone premix- IT is on them if it eats the head gasket- not likely on your iron head car, but they paid for my thunderbird's engine. Use conventional Valvoline 10W30 (don't use synthetic or blend- you will get leaks). Use mopar trans fluid and not universal type, Use mopar power steering fluid. Use Dot 3 brake fluid and not the green stuff- it is for hydro clutches and imports. Be honest with yourself, don't get discouraged. You are far ahead of some 500 a month car payment on some jellybean that can't be driven because the airbag will kill you. Your trunk should have a fire extinguisher and so should your pass side front floorboard- CHANGE those fuel lines brother. Your trunk should also have a jack that works and is safe and meant for you car. lug wrench and good spare tire. tools that fit the car which means some metric. Old hardware gets weird and sometimes a standard wrench don't fit no more and a metric saves the day. Work it in stages and test drive after each bit of work is done to ensure it is done proper. Good luck

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Slant6billy has covered some excellent points. Realistically this is an old car. A really good old car but if it's been sitting a long time it's not going to be a turn key car. All lines both fuel and brakes should be thoroughly inspected and what he said about specific types of fluids is crucial in these cars. Without a total trans flush it should be nothing but Dexron going in there. And as he also mentioned don't even think about using synthetic oil. He recommends Valvoline which is excellent oil 10W 30 is what your 318 was raised on and that's what I use exclusively. This place is a wealth of information for these cars. If you have any questions or need help, advice or just opinions then fire away. That's what we're here for.

Happy motoring......once you get any bugs worked out you're going to love driving that classic beauty.

Lord Alvin

Reaction score
One more thing. Yesterday my car sounded like a diesel engine upon starting. There was a lot of knocking and rattling, but it went away after a minute or so. It did that all three times I started the car. What's up?

Mr C

Reaction score
Was the engine shaking a lot, trying to stay running? Or was it just valve train noise?

If it was just valve train noise, check the oil level...If the oil level is good, then depending on the age/ wear of the engine, old lifters can collapse after you shut off the engine and then the noise goes away again after they pump up with oil.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Was the engine shaking a lot, trying to stay running? Or was it just valve train noise?

If it was just valve train noise, check the oil level...If the oil level is good, then depending on the age/ wear of the engine, old lifters can collapse after you shut off the engine and then the noise goes away again after they pump up with oil.

Good advice indeed.
Did you change/check the oil?

Lord Alvin

Reaction score
It seems to be running fine. It just sounds like lifter noise and it goes away pretty quickly. Oil level looks fine.

alf44

Reaction score
how many miles on engine? think about the timing chain. is it a lean burn?

Back