What exhaust systems are people running?

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm running a 99 GT Stang exhaust.... yes, that's correct a ford exhaust. It was a "take-off" when the Stang's owner spent money on a custom exhaust. So it was a reasonable means to get my car through state inspection. I did not have to move the gas tank over at first, but it would have been easier. My tank is moved over now. The filler tube is cut and lengthen using a rubber filler tube from a late 90s Ram. The angle face at the tank and the filler cap are not easily adapted with a hard pipe extension. So my exhaust was a factory Stang H pipe with 3 cats per side. I cut the pipe in front of the last cat, so I'm legal with one cat per side. The post cat exhaust has the H and factory ford mufflers , over the axle too:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, if the "take off" was at the right price and fit with little to no modification - then I don't see any problem with it.
Save your $ for more pleasurable things . . . like tire smoke (for example).

You might mention what year and engine size, as well as other tid-bits that might be helpful for others . . . (wait, you did - hand meets forehead).
BudW

slant6billy

Reaction score
Hey, if the "take off" was at the right price and fit with little to no modification - then I don't see any problem with it.
Save your $ for more pleasurable things . . . like tire smoke (for example).

You might mention what year and engine size, as well as other tid-bits that might be helpful for others . . . (wait, you did - hand meets forehead).
BudW
1985 AHB 318 with 30 over bore. 340 heads, 340 intake.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
What I meant by
You might mention what year and engine size
Was answered by beginning of your post:
I'm running a 99 GT Stang exhaust....
To help others on what to look for, for compatible exhaust systems.
Sorry for the confusion.

That said, I thought you had a 360. It appears I was wrong (by ~42 ci) . . .
BudW

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Alright, a tad late, but here it is: 3" pipe off of 1-5/8" primary pipe header, into X-pipe, into Hooker MaxFlows, over the axle, out behind the tire. Tank was not moved.

Here is the gallery:

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
pic8.jpg
pic9.jpg

What does all that get ya?

..and here is some track time...

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
So shiny under the car, a person would have to wear sunglasses.

Looks great!
BudW

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Both have the same size rear tires but the Dip has a wider rear end
79 vs 80
View attachment 29031

The rim backspace is the biggest contributor on my coupe to that look...I am OK with it, the wheels were an awesome buy (they were brand new and less than 1/2 price...can't beat that), but I wish they would have had a tad more backspace because there is plenty of room in the wheel-well to tuck the tires in there.

Oh, the 5 leaf HD springs are pretty tight on my ride, so the raised rear end also doesn't quite hide the tire, at least visually it seems to "stand out" more.

Back