Widest wheel on 1980 Mirada without mods?

ChefOne

Reaction score
I am looking into a nice set 17x9 wheels for my Mirada. I have the factory Rally Wheels and it looks pretty roomy inside the fender wells...Thanks

MIRADA 1980.jpg

ChefOne

Reaction score
I guess my question is; has anyone put 17x9 or 18x9 wheels on their Mirada/Imperial/Cordoba 300? The wheels I am looking at have a Zero offset, if that helps.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'm running VN515 wheels on my car. 18x9 in the rear and 18x8 on the front. Rear tire is a 285-40-18. It fits with a slight rub in the top of the wheelhouse on the back when it gets traction with a five leaf spring. The offset though is probably useless to you as I'm using a Dana 60 axle cut to '66 B body dimensions. The rear wheel well dimensions are the same for every F/J/M car.

IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

ChefOne

Reaction score
Good to know and nice ride you have there. I am thinking of going with a square stance with 255/45 18 or 245/45 18 tires on 18x9 wheels on all four corners.
Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

ChefOne

Reaction score
I'm running VN515 wheels on my car. 18x9 in the rear and 18x8 on the front. Rear tire is a 285-40-18. It fits with a slight rub in the top of the wheelhouse on the back when it gets traction with a five leaf spring. The offset though is probably useless to you as I'm using a Dana 60 axle cut to '66 B body dimensions. The rear wheel well dimensions are the same for every F/J/M car.

View attachment 51665View attachment 51666

View attachment 51667
Do you think I will need to use 1/2" spacers up front if I go with the 18x9 wheels?

Duke5A

Reaction score
Do you think I will need to use 1/2" spacers up front if I go with the 18x9 wheels?

I wouldn't. Tires are going to stick out from the wheel wells and look like a clown car. The F body Super Coupes had fender flares that look cool and could probably get away with it, but not our cars.

I've been through a number of different size tires on the front of my car. Current rim is a VN515, 18x8 with 4.5" BS. Original tire was 255-45-18 and it rubbed on the torsion bar and K frame at full lock. Went to a 245-40-18 and solved that issue. You can run a 255 on all four corners on these cars and it works with the correct BS. I've seen it before, but I couldn't tell you what it is. Personally I love the squared look, but I needed a way bigger tire in the rear than 255. The 285 I have now really isn't enough.

...and if you aren't going wider than 255 then an 8" rim is all you need.

20170731_150737-jpg.jpg

It should be noted I'm running Firm Feel 300# rate torsion bars on my car. They're more than twice the factory spring rate. I don't have issues with this configuration rubbing, but factory bar might. The factory spring rate on all F/J/M cars is VERY soft at 140#.

ChefOne

Reaction score
I wouldn't. Tires are going to stick out from the wheel wells and look like a clown car. The F body Super Coupes had fender flares that look cool and could probably get away with it, but not our cars.

I've been through a number of different size tires on the front of my car. Current rim is a VN515, 18x8 with 4.5" BS. Original tire was 255-45-18 and it rubbed on the torsion bar and K frame at full lock. Went to a 245-40-18 and solved that issue. You can run a 255 on all four corners on these cars and it works with the correct BS. I've seen it before, but I couldn't tell you what it is. Personally I love the squared look, but I needed a way bigger tire in the rear than 255. The 285 I have now really isn't enough.

View attachment 51675

It should be noted I'm running Firm Feel 300# rate torsion bars on my car. They're more than twice the factory spring rate. I don't have issues with this configuration rubbing, but factory bar might. The factory spring rate on all F/J/M cars is VERY soft at 140#.
The 18x9 Chrome Ridler wheels have a 5" backspacing, will those fit up front with my current stock suspension? The wheels are a great price is the main reason...

ChefOne

Reaction score

View attachment 51675

The wheels I am looking at are available in a 18x9 for the rear & 18x8 for the front, thoughts?

Back