Worth the money?

efriedrich

Reaction score
Would you pay $50 for a factory four barrel intake, exhaust manifolds, and heads (supposedly rebuilt about three years ago) from a 1974 360 car motor. Any pros or cons to these parts, I might put them on my 318 2 barrel.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
$50 is cheap enough BUT it would be a drag if you put it all on and something was screwy. Cracks, leaks, etc. Ya gotta wonder why it's so cheap.
Is that intake a straight bolt on to your 318?

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
It should be a straight bolt on. I ended up buying it. I got the 4b intake, the heads (big 1.88 valves rebuilt about three years ago), exhaust manifolds, shafts and rockers, push rods, distributor (maybe Mallory), all the carb and kick down linkage and other various nuts and bolts and brackets. I haven't even had a chance to go through it all yet.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
I was wondering if THIS is worth the money for my Dippy?
Any comments?

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-03-0162

First saw the price and thought 900 bux + for an intake... BUT After noticing all the 'other' goodies I would say yes... but thats just my 2c worth... If ya price it all individually its a rather decent price... Havent priced alot of performance stuff lately but new intake 250 range carb 250-300 range cam and lifter kit is another 200-250 (guessing) {man what happened to the good ole days? 75 fer new cams 20 fer a set of lifters} plus the gaskets, new aircleaner, and some hardware to boot...

res1vw21

Reaction score
Your compression is gonna drop a bit and you might be almost too low to start with. Factory 4bbl intakes are heavy and not really anything special. 2.02s are the big valves on the intake and 1.88 exhaust (J or X head)

efriedrich

Reaction score
As it turned out they are heads and intake from a 72-73 340 per their part numbers. I will probably just sale them and save for my 360 build. The original 318 2 barrel runs ok, no need to put any money in it when I just plan on pulling it out next winter.

ramenth

Reaction score
Your compression is gonna drop a bit and you might be almost too low to start with. Factory 4bbl intakes are heavy and not really anything special. 2.02s are the big valves on the intake and 1.88 exhaust (J or X head)

Yes and no. Later factory 4bbl intakes (like from an M-body cop car) had the offset thermostat housing which means you can still run A/C if you have it. Edelbrock might be the only one in the aftermarket which duplicates this in aluminum. So, for a budget build, factory intakes can be the way to go and still keep some of the amenities.

Considering the information the OP has given us, though, that's not the particulars in this application, just pointing it out.

oldskoolracer

Reaction score
I would have to say $50 is a steal, if you do plan on using any of it having a machine shop check the heads is usually cheap insurance, alot cheaper than bolting them on and having to remove them because the are warped, cracked, or valves dont seal. Even if you plan to sell, alot of buyers will appreciate knowing the heads have been checked out to be okay. Not a bad idea to have the intake and exhaust checked as well to make sure the sealing faces are flat and wont leave any issues with vacuum or exhaust leaks.

efriedrich

Reaction score
Yes and no. Later factory 4bbl intakes (like from an M-body cop car) had the offset thermostat housing which means you can still run A/C if you have it. Edelbrock might be the only one in the aftermarket which duplicates this in aluminum. So, for a budget build, factory intakes can be the way to go and still keep some of the amenities.

Considering the information the OP has given us, though, that's not the particulars in this application, just pointing it out.

Thats exactly why I wanted a factory intake, good call.

YY1

Reaction score
Some 340 and 360 heads are the same casting #s.

Port runners and intake ports on 340/360 heads are larger than 318.
360 intake on 318 heads will be a mismatch and possibly create turbulence.
Also can reduce the air velocity- same goes for heads.
Eddy performer and LD4B have the 318 port size.

Compression wiil probably be lower with unmilled 360 heads on a 318.
If you're already at 8.2:1...yuck.

efriedrich

Reaction score
Im not going to do it anyway, good information thanks.

Back