06 5.7 1500 to 04 2500

4speedjim

Reaction score
Morning everyone. It's been a while. It's not an fmj question, I hope can get your help here. I don't know where else to turn and I miss everyone here. We're still in limbo after the fire. My '04 2500 5.7 335k has developed a brief, 1 second death rattle first start up of the morning. I found an '06 1500 150k I can pick up for 1/4 of what they want for an engine alone. Ideally I'd swap out engine and trans. The MDS would be okay, even though the 2500, or anything pre '06 had that. I'm not sure in an '06 you can downshift then upshift to defeat the MDS for towing like my dad's '13 1500. I don't think I can swap CPU due to VIN numbers mismatch, unless I can somehow get that flashed over, but I can't imagine that's possible. That would be too easy. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Opticon77

Reaction score
A VIN on a compatible CPU can definitely be flashed at a dealer. Use the CPU (and trans controller if separate) from the swapped stuff.

This nerd has some details about the differences between the years...

2005 and up look to have a different harness and connectors from the earlier Hemis. So you would need to swap that too.

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
Try this post on Moparts. They have a dedicated Gen3 sub forum and can probably tell you the exact specifics regarding this swap.

Back