1979 Volare Gas Tank How to Lower Tank A Few Inches

Fox1809

Reaction score
I took my 1979 Volare Duster super six to Boise Muffler this morning to have the big Midas muffler replaced with a Magnaflow 11224 muffler and to have the Midas resonator deleted. Now I can at least hear a little sound from the slant six.

While the car was up on the rack high enough to stand under the car, the guy who did the work pointed out to me that the fuel hose near the front bottom of the gas tank needs replaced because it is rotted out and fuel is seeping from it. Rubber fuel hose is about one foot long. It goes from gas tank to metal fuel line. Problem is cannot get to the one hose clamp because it is a few inches back in a tight spot. Looks like two screws must be removed and front of gas tank lowered a few inches.

What needs to be disconnected to do this? Does the fuel filler tube need to be disconnected somewhere? What about electric wire for fuel gauge? Anything else I should know before attempting to pivot gas tank down a few inches? I know that the weight of the gas tank will have to be supported somehow. Tank is two thirds full of gas.

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you support the tank and unbolt the straps, you'll be able to drop it down far enough to get at the hose clamp. If you take the 3 screws out where the filler neck mounts to the body it will let the tank drop without risk of damaging anything. The wiring will be fine.

If possible, get fuel hose rated for ethanol contact if you use "up to 10%" ethanol fuel. Usually that's listed as "fuel injection" hose. Downside to that is it's really stiff and tough to slip onto the nipples sometimes. Careful, 2/3rds tank is 100 lbs or more plus the weight of the tank. Worse is, it's a liquid weight and ends up all in one end. Be prepared, lol!

Fox1809

Reaction score
What Inside Diameter Fuel Hose?

O'Reilly Auto Parts website has fuel hose inside diameter 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 7/16", 1/2", and 5/8". What inside diameter hose is correct for a 1979 slant six fuel tank?

slant6billy

Reaction score
I just dropped my tank a few months ago. Take this opportunity to do a few things or at least think about.

Do you want to have the tank moved over 1 rib to make room for dual exhaust? Nows the time.

The cardboard insulator between the tank and trunk floor is probably well worn. Time to replace. I used swimming pool solar cover material - like real think poppy plastic / shipping blister pack material

Inspect the top side of the tank for leaks rust and holes. Mine had a few.

Get the tank as empty as you can. Get a decent size piece of plywood - I used an 18inch by 18 inch on my floor jack.

Spray the tank strap bolts with penetration oil and wd40 and let it soak a good while- don't want to snap the bolts.

If you choose to move the tank over for dual exhaust- remember the filler tube needs to be extend.
The filler tube is fastened to the 1/4 panel by 3 phillip screws

Good luck

Back