1980 Dodge Mirada Build Advice

302My-Rada

Reaction score
I recently bought my 1980 Mirada J-Body with a 225 slant 6. This is my first (and last) project car. Just looking for some guidance and opinions on where to begin to make it what I want. A reliable custom cruiser with some balls! Not an everyday driver, but definitely more than just weekend cruising.
Is the best bet to completely rebuild the 225 slant 6 with beefier parts for more HP? If so what are the trans options?
Or does anyone offer a new engine & trans combo that replaces the slant 6 without too much fabrication?
I don't have a work space at the moment, so for now I'm limited on what I can do myself.
If anyone knows of a shop in my area (Delaware/Philadelphia) that knows their stuff, PLEASE let me know.
Thank You All!

20200618_190931.jpg

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
This may be hard to accept, but if you are serious about an engine swap for more performance.. that is "easy" and with out major headaches... I would sell that car, and find one with V8 and a lighter body.. Engine swaps are not all that hard in theory. BUT they take more time than you realize, determination to work through issues that crop up, and $$$ for tools that you will use once or twice. (engine hoist for example) What I am saying Is that Murphy's law will test you a lot more than the engine swap will. Such is the reality of car-crafting.

IF you are happy with the unique-ness of the slant 6, and you are committed to learning the details of what makes an engine work, then head on over to slant six .org and begin reading. Lots of improvements, that are seat of the pants improvements can be made. They take time and effort, but not a lot of $$$. A shop usually can not charge enough to make such improvements so it becomes a DIY project. Look up what it cost to put a car on a chassis-dyno, as an example of what it takes to tune the carb and ignition curve. Both are simple in theory..

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
No place to work and hotroding are like oil and water. Yes, a V8 swap on these cars is easy, but requires tools and a garage. I wouldn't take this on unless you can secure a place to work first.

302My-Rada

Reaction score
Thanks CC & Duke, I really appreciate the replies.
I'm currently house hunting, especially for the room to set up shop. In the meantime I'm educating myself every chance I get. Just got the Dutra Slant 6 book, Haynes manual (for what that's worth), as many vids and posts I can find especially slant six. org. I've been a plumber for 24 years, new home construction, commercial work, service work, peon to foreman, 3 grown kids and an ex-wife lol, few things are hard to accept anymore brutha! I am however dead set on this car and determined to put in the time, frustration, and bloody knuckles to make it right...make it mine.
This car was one owner since new, 61,000 miles, mostly garaged/covered. We flew out 1-way to Wisconsin and drove it back to Delaware straight shot. Besides a little oil leak it did great! Seems to be a "good bones" car to start from. I am becoming way more appreciative of the Slant 6 though. I'm really not looking to do burnouts and race mofos at red lights, not in this car. I'm all about appreciating it for what it'd be with rebuilding the Slant 6, making it safe as it can be, new interior and paint. Just cruise.
I'll continue to post here, pick your brains, and follow up on progress. Thanks to FMJ and the entire community here for giving me/us a place to sort it out and see what's out there. Any advice or opinions are always welcome to me, the knowledge is priceless.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
You can do anything you set your mind to. When I was 18, I swapped a 440 into a 318 69 coronet in the parking lot where I worked over a weekend with a rented hoist and minimal tools.

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
I am becoming way more appreciative of the Slant 6 though. I'm really not looking to do burnouts and race mofos at red lights, not in this car. I'm all about appreciating it for what it'd be with rebuilding the Slant 6, making it safe as it can be, new interior and paint. Just cruise.

It is a really nice looking car, and I will urge to keep the slant 6.. Keep having fun with your car as a high priority. If you can do little projects, or upgrades, with out pulling the whole car apart, then fun can stay in the mix. Even "stock" the slant will respond to some "super tuning", which won't turn it into a 440, but you will notice a real difference in how it moves along. I will go looking for a few links to better describe what I am talking about. Meanwhile see below:

Check out "Aggressive Ted's build in the engine build matrix over at slant 6.org, he focused upon building torque and ended up with a really responsive combination, and I think he was getting 26-27 MPG in mixed driving with a 1bbl carb. The general opinion seems to be that a 2bbl will, or can do as well or better, and in my opinion the 6 cylinder is fun because it is uncommon, and The satisfaction level is high, when you get the combination to really sing. Not putting down a V8, and I would love to have a 360 in my imperial.. but the slant six has it's own magic and if you ever to to a car show, you will be pleasantly surprised by how many people are interested in what you have under the hood.

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
I'm all about appreciating it for what it'd be with rebuilding the Slant 6, making it safe as it can be, new interior and paint. Just cruise.

The first story following is an example of " tuning" Which is really optimization of what you all ready have.. it is not hard work, but it takes time.. and this goes for a slant 6 or a 440. I share them for your entertainment, and as a primer for what you may enjoy doing with your car.. I'will add that they are written as a bit of an informercial.. But you can do the same on your own, and for less $$ which is where some of the satisfaction shows up.. ok enough of me caring on.. (half the fun of having a car for me is the dreaming and planning. The actual work, well you understand how that is in regards to plumbing.. my point is to try and enjoy every stage..

More Power For Your Leaning Tower: Add 14-Horsepower To Your Slant 6 - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

Gallery: Slant-6 Gains (Some) Power With Accurate Exhaust Products - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

Gallery: Factory Super Six Wakes Up Our 1967 Dodge Dart - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

Duke5A

Reaction score
No matter what you do to it outside of forced induction prepare to passed by minivans and v-tec Hondas. Not trying to dissuade you from building a slant, but just don't have high expectations.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
nice mirada. I dig the color, id say keep the slant 6 build it up. its usually a sight to see a built slant 6 let alone a slant 6 still in a car. Definitely a conversation piece at the local car cruise. Met a guy that had a built slant 6, had a paxton side mount supercharger, meth injection, clifford intake and a mess of other addons. Car put down 325hp to the wheels and about the same for tq. He had it straight piped, sounded pretty wicked, had that older bmw m3 tone to it. He had also converted it to a 4spd with a pistol grip.

Back