1986 Fifth Ave Up For Auction

dm330

Reaction score
Found this 86 Fifth Avenue up for auction in Nebraska with an end date of June 1st.

img (1).jpg

img.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I liked This car and came very close to bidding on it. White with blue interior.
After brining home vehicle #6 home, then thought that I might have to sleep in it after wife found out, so decided not to.

Screenshot 2022-06-01 140048.png

A couple of other vehicles sold there:
Screenshot 2022-06-01 140704.png

Screenshot 2022-06-01 140559.png

BudW

dm330

Reaction score
Just guessing that the underbody is as decent as the rest of the car, looks like it was bought for a good price. I wanted to bid on it myself, as I prefer the pre88 models and love the dark blue on white, but still waiting on my own car to be finished so I can pay that big bill. That big boat New Yorker is a beaut as well.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My mother had the same year/make/model and color New Yorker. I thought it might have been a blast to drive it to go see her in it.
I even took my drivers test in that car (well, not this one, but one exactly like it), in '82.

My mom was hard on her NY. She ran it until it quit three times. Two times were due to coolant leaks and third was out of oil (oil pressure switch shut the car off). Each time, the car kept going after the leak was fixed. My dad said when the RED oil light comes on, or the RED coolant light comes on, to STOP. Did she ever listen (um no).
Now days, you keep driving a car with a known coolant leak until it stops, you are looking a puddle of melted plastic and aluminum and a hefty repair bill.
A bobtail truck backed into it, totaling it (so my dad said). I didn't think the damage was that bad (header, grill, hood and a fender). He traded it in on a new Caravan. She has driven a minivan ever sense.

At the time, I hadn't seen a car so willing to spin the (no, smoke the) tires at 70 MPH when road was wet, when at WOT. Now, from a stop, not so much. I'm guessing that 440 had 2.7 or 2.4 gears...maybe?

and love the dark blue on white
As do I. Nothing against my charcoal gray Fifth Ave, but I think the White/Blue fits me better. The paint on my Fifth is looking pretty bad now (clearcoat failure).
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If I was to "guess", I would say yes. I signed up for the service and was ready to bid (but didn't). I might be wrong, though.
Usually initial gut feelings about something are usually correct.

Folk in Nebraska and Oklahoma usually are pretty legit on things, but that said, creeps do sneak in.

Back