1987 A/C Condenser conversion

Justwondering

Reaction score
Has anyone converted their older serpentine a/c condenser to a newer parallel or multi-flow condenser?

My next project, after I finish the interior trim and roof, is to fix the A/C. Since it has been sitting for years and was never converted to R134a I have no idea why it quit cooling to begin with. Was it a compressor failure, lack of refrigerant, bad hoses, etc. I won't know if I have a big project or a simple project til I find out what's wrong.

So I want to consider options before I just automatically put it back with the stock components designed before R134a.

Best case, it holds pressure and just needs a flush, drier, and mineral oil swap out.

Worst case, it needs an overhaul.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Mine was converted when I got I got it. I have the original receipt for what was done...but alas I'm still at work and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You're original condenser will work fine with R134a, provided it doesn't leak that is.
Actually, all you need to do for 134a is drain the oil from the compressor and blow out as much oil as you can from the lines and evaporator (won't be much) and refill with PAG oil. As long as the original hoses are in good shape, there's no need to change them to barrier hose. The years of having the mineral oil going through them essentially makes them barrier hose now. Of course you have to put the adapter fittings onto the original R12 charge ports and it's a good idea to change the dryer but not absolutely necessary. Then charge it with R134a to 80% of the R12 capacity and good to go. Oh, you should also change the binary pressure switch (usually on the dryer) to a trinary switch. Binary cuts the compressor power with low pressure, trinary will do low and also high pressure. Important with R134a since the pressures are higher. No wiring changes needed. They both look exactly the same.

Hopefully you'll get lucky and the A/C simply bled down refrigerant an ounce every couple years over 20-30 years (very common) and no body ever recharged it.

Aside from a new compressor and custom made plumbing, my car is all original R12 components and is one of the best working A/C systems I've ever seen. Will freeze you out even on a humid 90 degree day. I think it cools better than R12 ever did.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Yes the M systems seem to take to the 134 conversion better than most other systems that I have encountered. They maintain a high cooling capacity with the 134 refrigerant.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice. By the end of the week, I hope to be done with the headliner, trim and roof. So next week I can start the A/C. Will post back when I have the results.

Back