300 plus miles in an 86 5th Ave

picklesgarage

Reaction score
Was able over the last weekend to enjoy a long drive with my 86 5th Ave. 300+ miles and no problems. Been having problems with starting recently, a combo of starter related and i think fuel but it hasnt been a big deal just hop in the daily and go. Decided that would try and take the 5th down south of Boston for a funeral I had to go to. Much to my surprise ran like a dream. No problems with starting for the trip. Discovered have a vibration that needs to be addressed that I didnt know about. Has a shake at 65 that goes away at 70 but returns at 75 and goes again after. thinking ujoint or rear tire balance off the top of my head. The car handles and rides better then some new cars. Think i surprised a few drivers being able to keep up and pass without much effort. This was the first major drive I have done with the car since i bought it a couple years ago. Was very happy not to see any kinds of overheating problem where did sit in some stop and go and it was in the 80s. Was concerned that not having a shroud on the radiator might cause a problem but the gauge never moved past the second marker. Got as good of gas milage as i would have if i took my truck to boot. The only thing that may have made the trip better would be if the AC was working, for some reason it stopped working this year, gonna need to look into that. Still have plenty of work to do but I have to say thank you for all the help i have received here in keeping it on the road. Hoping to get some more long trips in soon.

69-

Reaction score
These Ms are just great. Have no AC, but both windows down, vents open, enjoy.
Put like 8k miles on mine in like a year. And the plan is to put another 1.5k in it next week, going to a big swedish car meet. :cool: ;)

picklesgarage

Reaction score
Put like 8k miles on mine in like a year. And the plan is to put another 1.5k in it next week, going to a big swedish car meet. :cool: ;)
it was my daily till i popped the second radiator in it but i usually dont have to go very far. i was fine with the windows open rolling down the highway. the stop and go in rain wasnt as much fun. depending on what else i can get done this year with it and the multiple other projects the AC might have to wait till next year.

Bluejeansthe5th

Reaction score
Isn't it nice to be reminded of why you like the car. I have had mine a year, no trips of your duration yet. I will say that AC is required here in SE Virginia this time of the year. I am sometimes hesitant to drive the car when the temps here touch 90. Keep us posted on your progress!

MoparDan

Reaction score
Thats what i do with mine, roll all the windows down and open the vent, here in Florida, yah if she had A/C I'd use it oh well, the funny thing is when I bought her I thought the factory no A/C was cool: the extra floor vent, easier to reach the spark plugs without all the A/C junk in the way I live in CT then though. Yah Ms make great drivers, I drove The Cherry Bomb over 60k miles in the first 4 years, and in the 11 years I've had her I turned an 88k mile Plymouth into a 220k mile Plymouth! Hey thats what cars are for and Ms are great cars to drive

picklesgarage

Reaction score
wish i could remember how i had the child seat in so i could drive it more. cant seem to not have the buckle in the kids back

Back