318 build -- got a few questions!

majo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm getting started on my 318 build/refresh in my Imperial -- going with an Eddy Performer intake with a Holley 600, and replacing the LB computer with an 1975-era set-up ( got a kit from Summit ). This is for my 24 Hours of LeMons build, so it's not going to be a daily driver!

1) I've removed the AC compressor, and there's still the huge bracket that was used for it and the alternator. Is there a smaller bracket for just the alternator available that'll work? I did already source a belt to use ( Duralast 15530 ), but I need to shave a water pump rib or two.

2) I'm going to remove as much of the vacuum mess that I can. With that being said I'd like to pull the charcoal canister at all it's assorted hoses, but there's one small steel line connected to it that seems to run to the rear of the car. Do I need that, or can I just plug it?

3) Speaking of lines going back to the rear: There's a what appears to be a fuel return hose coming off this doo-hickey on top of the manifold ( circled in red ):

image1vv.jpg

Can I just plug this return line and remove this device, or what do I need to do? I don't really need a return line, do I?

4) I'm not going to run a heater, so can I just cap the outlet coming from the water pump, or should I run a small loop to the outlet on the manifold mimicking the stock set-up? I don't know if this leads to any cooling issues if I just plug the WP outlet ( new to Mopars! ).

5) Is there an easy way to know which wires I need to connect to the ballast resistor that I'll be using ( there currently isn't one on the car )? I need a "start" wire and a "run" wire. I have a shop manual, but it's a little confusing.

6) I removed the air pump, and for the time being, I just connected the two hoses that go from the air pump to the exhaust manifolds together. Any issues here? ( I'll eventually be removing them entirely )

Thanks for reading my post! I'll keep the updates on this thread.

image1vv.jpg

CM360

Reaction score
I think that is a fuel return line to the tank. Only some cars had this feature. Since you are changing the intake and carb you should be able to plug it. Check the fuel pump. There may be an extra line. I have not seen this set up for many years. The canister can be removed but you need a pressure release for the tank. All cars had these, they just vented to the air.

Back