3D printing

Camtron

Reaction score
Has anyone ever looked into 3D printing or happen to do 3D printing?
I stumbled upon a post from, Argentina where a company, 3d.Form, had 3D printed a new bezel and control knobs for an old, Mercury Montclair’s climate control system. The end product looks pretty spot on in the few pictures they posted. Idk what the cost to do stuff like this but, it seems a viable option to get one off parts made; so long as a physically sample is supplied or size/dimensions/measurements are already know. The materials used don’t seem too expensive from what I’ve seen online but, I’d imagine size and complexity of designs/shapes ect...all factor into price as well.

6154168F-1910-4A90-B533-201916679335.jpeg

6030C309-5191-4D2F-9CF8-F795E3F58F38.jpeg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
3D printing can be a big help to us, for some items. Companies that make plastic molds need an “original” or a “sample” piece to make a mold with. Once that is done, then copies can be made. The problem is trying to find an original or a good sample part.
It might even mean the original part might be ruined in the process (maybe).

Parts I would like to see reproduced – that a 3D process would be a great starting block:
Two door upper seat belt holder loops
A-pillar trim (2 and 4-door F/M trim is different)
Black glass/backlite inside trim
Two door outer quarter window trim (downward or rearward slant).
SuperCoupe wheel well trim
RT/Road Runner/Sport Wagon fender flares
Trunk spoiler(s)
Chin spoiler(s)
Center console base (lids wouldn’t work, unless made of solid plastic).
Lock knobs.
Taillight lens
F-body grills.
J-door panels
Two door C-panel trim/inside quarter trim panels.

The problem is many of these items are too big for a single printer
BudW

Camtron

Reaction score
Size definitely seems to be the biggest limiting factors for most printers out. I can’t wait for this to be more available in the coming years. So many small plastic parts that aren’t made and increasingly difficult to find. this will be a great way to help give, resto project cars the finishing touches they need without anyone breaking the bank for custom molds and manufacturing cost for, X amount to be made ect...

Aspen500

Reaction score
There's a plastics molding outfit across the side street from where I work but I'm not sure if the do 3D printing or not. I do know they make prototype parts as well as production parts for companies but beyond that, not sure exactly what goes on there. Maybe worth a check when I get a chance to wander over there. You never know. Otherwise, the only 3D printing around here is a company that only does commercial stuff, not for Joe Public off the street.:(

Camtron

Reaction score
I’ve also only seen commercial operations that do prototypes and large production runs.
Gotta find that local kid that vapes and had his parents buy him one for Christmas instead of a computer or Xbox lol
I’m kinda surprised I don’t have any friends that mess around with it and have their own printer.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I got 3 minutes free today and quickly went across the street (it was too cold to take my time,lol) and they have a large 3D printer but don't do 3D printing for the general public, only commercial clients, same as the other place. They basically use 3D printing to make the molds for the plastic parts they produce, not the actual part.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Aspen500, is their large 3D printer make metal or plastic molds?

It might be nice to find out who their commercial clients are, so we could . . .
BudW

89.Fifth

Reaction score
I have access to 3d Printers, laser cutters, and CNC machines.

The three limiting factors are:

1) Time
2) Cost
3) Demand

Aspen500

Reaction score
Aspen500, is their large 3D printer make metal or plastic molds?

It might be nice to find out who their commercial clients are, so we could . . .
BudW
I believe they make metal molds. Not sure if commercial is the right word to use for their molded plastic customers. Maybe industrial? Manufacturing company? You know what I mean. Highly doubt they would tell me who their customers are.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
My daughter 3D prints all sorts of stuff. So does a friend of mine, and a couple of the kids in our Scout Troop too. Plus laser engraving also. I had considered doing the triangle belt loops, but was advised against it because of liability should such an item break in a collision, being so near a person's head and neck while being attached to the thing that's holding them in the seat. It's not the sort of risk that I believe any individual wants. But 76-77 windshield wiper knobs? Oh, you know that's happening...

Oh, I also have an nos Sport Wagon front air dam. It's a different item than earlier models. The side flares are 2" shorter horizontally, which means the center section mounts directly to the core support without brackets. Tucking it up tight like that closer to the wheel centerline also will reduce breakage. That's on my list of things to get made. I'm thinking it should be done in the original urethane and be flexible rather than doing it in fiberglass.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I bought a 3D printed battery door for a Zoom H4n digital recorder that was given to me. I used a website (Thingverse) that had the pattern for the door in house already. You can pick your material (ABS, Polycarbonate, etc.) and the printer (one in Edmonton in my case). The major issue is to have a pattern/files that can be used to reproduce the part. They happened to have the pattern for what I was looking for, but if they don't, I would think costs go up significantly for digitizing a sample part.

Back