5.7 hemi vs 383 big block

Chadly B

Reaction score
so, I'm posting this in the general discussion, because it is KIND of a general question....and I'll background this a little.....I own a 383/727 combo that need rebuilt, I plan on using the car for Autocrossing, Road Course racing, Street driving, possibly some top speed type stuff and some occasional drag racing (maybe....maybe I'll build another one for street/drag....not sure) guessing that the 5.7 hemi is lighter, can the difference in weight be balanced out on the wagon to make 383 a viable option in this car, or do I spend the money on a takeout 5.7 hemi? It isn't really that money is no object, but more that by the time i rebuild the 383 and put some sort of good/great heads and a cam in it, I think I'll have about the same money in it.......input, please....oh, and I figure the 727 will go away and be replaced by a 5 or 6 speed, unless I decide to use the whole combo in something else.....
Chad

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Quick reply...383/727 rebuild will be cheaper and straight forward...use Shumacher motor mounts...a new driveshaft and minumum 8.25 rear with 8.75 rear even better...

the 5.7 liter hemi would be fun...lots of wiring to do with the computer and fuel injection...would have to fabricate or locate someone that I do not know of for motor mounts...different tranny as you mentioned and new drive shaft with the same rearend recommendations.....

best question to ask is...Has someone did this hemi install in their wagon yet and can you give me some pointers?

77RTNJ

Reaction score
Somebody did a hemi install in a dart, I beleive he fabbed everything for the mounts. there is a thread on FABO for a 5.7 hemi swap into an a-body. They make mention of motor mounts from TTI. Don't know if they have them for the F-body though.

Also the February 2009 edition of Hot Rod Magazine has info on a swap of a crate into a duster. You can see the article online. Just google 5.7 swap and look for the Hot Rod Mag article.

Kevin

Badasspen

Reaction score
Make sure you beef up the front suspension with the 383 setup or it will handle like a brick on marbles.

Remow2112

Reaction score
Just a comment on the BB swap. I have a 400 in my 77 with manual steering and have no issues.

Remow2112

Reaction score
There is really no need to beef up the front end. If you want to do anything, rebuild the front end with polyurethane bushings. You might have to adjust the front end height with the torsion bars but I have a BB in 77 Volare with manual steering and it is not bad at all.

Dan...

Back