5th Ave Engine Coompartment - Ginormous

Justwondering

Reaction score
Each time I work on another vehicle in the fleet, I realize how much I prefer to work on my M-Body.

For example, when I was checking over the 5th getting my game plan for converting the a/c to R134 I could easily check, move, reach bolts, screws, hoses, etc. I could easily see most everything I needed and there was .... space. Like a breath of fresh air.

This evening, I was replacing the blower resistor on the 1997 F350 diesel dually. Two screws and a tabbed plug. Doesn't sound complicated. Took over an hour. An hour. Even with my smaller hands, I still had to futz around everything jammed in together with no working room. I finally removed the resistor with the plug in place after using three different ratchet/wrench/extender combinations to get around hoses, vacuum lines, other plugs, housings ... etc.

Then another 15 minutes trying to pry the plug from the resistor without seriously breaking the tabs.

Good news is the installation is complete and the a/c blower now works on all settings low to high.

And of course, I realize how much I appreciate working on my 5th.

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I had the option to sell my 5th and inherit my parent's '05 Jeep Liberty. We bought it brand new, so I knew the history of it well. But it had over double the miles on it, was leaking trans fluid and front diff fluid, and was a nightmare to get any access to anything. For example, the lever going to the transfer case to shift it into 4WD slipped off. took me 2 hours fumbling around up under it because the lever is in the hardest place to get to........of course. Needless to say, the Jeep is now on it's second owner, and I'm still charging ahead with the mighty 5th.

.....And don't even get me started on the room in my '52 Ford F-1. I could probably fit another flathead in with the original.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I watched my roommate do the water pump in a Stratus. What a pain in the butt that was as it is behind the timing belt. I like working on my slant in the Aspen, lots of room.

Back