727 swap

Camtron

Reaction score
So if a fella was swapping to a 727, about how much longer would the new drive shaft need to be? About 3” give or take?
Had the pleasure of meeting, Ryan Brutt (AKA: The AutoArcheologist) and picked up a 727 core from him that was rebuilt about 20 years ago and has been sitting since. Gonna open it up and see how much moisture it’s collected and replace Teflon seals and orings and send it. Started messing around with 904 rebuilds during the winter, figure it only makes sense to have the beefier trans for regular abuse. on the upside, I have spare transmissions laying around now for when things go clunkclunk BANG, lol

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtDa49_p7ytA2ykjQ-GTxTg

Last edited:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
So if a fella was swapping to a 727, about how much longer would the new drive shaft need to be? About 3” give or take?
Had the pleasure of meeting, Ryan Brutt (AKA: The AutoArcheologist) and picked up a 727 core from him that was rebuilt about 20 years ago and has been sitting since. Gonna open it up and see how much moisture it’s collected and replace Teflon seals and orings and send it. Started messing around with 904 rebuilds during the winter, figure it only makes sense to have the beefier trans for regular abuse. on the upside, I have spare transmissions laying around now for when things go clunkclunk BANG, lol

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtDa49_p7ytA2ykjQ-GTxTg

The driveshaft is shorter with a 727. It also uses a different slip yoke and what I always call the pivot bracket the linkages go to.

Camtron

Reaction score
Man, I had it in my head that it was shorter for some reason; damn dyslexia. Yoke was included, I gotta double check if it had the pivot bracket and stud and everything on there. pretty sure it’s fully dressed with linkages and everything on there

80mirada

Reaction score
The yoke is different, it seems like it was around 4 inches shorter when swapping to a 727. If you need a yoke, let me know, I have a few extras.....

Duke5A

Reaction score
If you want to swap in a 500/518 I've got a driveshaft that is cut to fit you can have. :)

Camtron

Reaction score
If you want to swap in a 500/518 I've got a driveshaft that is cut to fit you can have. :)
I’d take you up on that. I see a 518 and ultra bell in my future; sound familiar? lol, I gotta stop mucking around with small block items after this trans and start getting that 383 together finally.

There’s a voice in my head that likes to tells me to, “just stroke the 318 you pulled last summer dummy.” but, I’ve been trying to ignore that voice and finish buttoning up what I’ll call, my small block phase for the, 5th Ave.
Plus I just kinda want to throw the 318 and one of the 904/999 into a D100-250 if I can find a roller first Gen ram that’s in good shape. Wouldn’t hate a cheap yet good truck.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
As the guys already pointed out, the 727 is longer, so your driveshaft is shorter.

Here are some specs to compare the two (and more).

MOPAR-Transmission_Dimensions.jpg

Back