FOR SALE '77 wagon? Looks like a '79 to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Contact seller
This wagon is for sale on EB. 1977 Plymouth Other Premier | eBay They say it is a '77, but with that light cashmere interior, the distinctive interior door trim, and the grille/parking lights, looks more like a '79 to me. Anyway, it looks like a nice find for someone looking for a wagon. Always loved that upgraded vinyl interior with those 60/40 seats.
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Humm. The interior seat pattern was available in '77's, but not in that light tan color. They would have been the darker "butterscotch" color. Also, the door panel design in this wagon was new for '79. I suppose someone could have switched out the interior, and the grille, but the compressor too? Seems kind of weird. Another clue is the rear bumper filler. On the '77's, it would have been positioned under the edge of the bumper, on '78 & '79's it would be on top of the bumper edge like this one. I think the VIN must be wrong...but why?
s-l1600.jpg

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Perfect sleeper for my 367; me want.
Bidding ended.
:(
I had a 79 like that but with 318, and bench
I had a green 77, also with 318,also bench

Movie-car. My luck it was bondo'ed up every which way
"Pics taken prior to movie" Hmmmmm, wonder why that tidbit was included.....
I have a spare hood....lessee what kind of scoop would look good on there?
Yeah my 77 teener had the old piston pump; I still have it here somewhere Lol.

Hey OP, if you ever come across it again...... I might be interested.Can you post it up again.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The C171 A/C compressor came out in ’79.
The emissions equipment looks like a ’79, to me.

The over the bumper, bumper extensions started in ’80. The under the bumper, bumper extensions were the same from ’76-79.

The only thing I see that might be out of place is the seats. Without seeing the back seats and comparing – I can’t say much else. Looks like '79 seats, to me.

I guess a mistake in year, in the listing.
Looks like might be an good purchase.
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Ah ha! "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing." That is the stated reason why the bidding (of which there was none) ended, likely due to the confusion over the year of the car. I can understand if the seller may have made a mistake about what year the wagon is, as it doesn't seem as if they had any interest in it other than to use it in a movie. But still, why is the VIN wrong?
The over the bumper, bumper extensions started in ’80. The under the bumper, bumper extensions were the same from ’76-79.
I don't think that's right Bud. To my knowledge, the '76 and '77 were under the bumper, '78 and '79 were over the bumper, and I think the '80 might have been completely different again due to the larger bumper, but it was still over the bumper. OY is a '78 and has the over the bumper extensions and so did my '78 T-top and my '79 Volare. I never owned an '80. In the pic below, you can still see the original over the bumper filler on OY with a chunk missing on the drivers side edge. I was very fortunate to be able to score a nice intact one off the one parts car I bought, and even in the right color.
November 2014 001.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that's right Bud. To my knowledge, the '76 and '77 were under the bumper, '78 and '79 were over the bumper,
Well, my age might be catching up with me – and you could be correct.
I was thinking bumpers, not fillers.
That said, my brain cells don’t (or can’t?) work like they us

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Ah! We might be talking about two different things. I was referring to the long horizontal body color rubber/plastic insert between the body and the rear bumper. Whether on top of, or underneath the bumper, they were both problematic. The older style under the bumper style tended to warp and hang down unevenly. The newer style over the bumper style were easily damaged and broken (like OY's with the chunk out of it). Damn brain cells! Highly unreliable and no repro's produced yet! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back