8.25 Swap

Waggo

Reaction score
I've read over several other posts on this forum and I am still somewhat confused.

I currently have a 78 Aspen wagon that I did a magnum swap in and I'm looking to swap in an 8.25 rear that would preferably have 3.55s or 3.73s and have a LSD/Sure-grip. My current 8.25 is a 2.45.

My question is what 8.25 would take the least modifying to put under the car. I am currently looking at 94-96 Cherokees.

My main issue is the tires I'm running on the car (275s) barely fit and Id like to keep it as close and possible with size as far as the width of the rear.

What rear would be the closest to the F body rear with the desired gear and LSD/Sure-grip?

Thanks.

Opticon77

Reaction score
No need to swap a whole new rear end. Change out the Ring & Pinion, Diff Carrier (as the 2.45 carrier won't accept a 3.55 ring), and add the LSD of your choosing (NOT one of the Jeep off road locker types). Match up the new one with your stock axle spline count so you don't have to replace those. Definitely pay someone to install the parts. The rebuild kit has a crush washer in there that requires a turning torque gauge and some know-how.

Which side of PA you on?

MiradaCMX80

Reaction score
Following....need info to head to the junkyard this weekend. What year Cherokee axles have the 27 spline carriers? My yard has a 94 Cherokee, with 3.55. Going this weekend to see if its an LSD and take the internals to put into my 1980 8.25.

MiradaCMX80

Reaction score
Ok. So 96-back should be 27 spline. There's plenty of Cherokees in the yards around here...shouldn't be too hard to find one.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of all F and M wagons (99.99%?) came with an 8¼”differential. The only ones I heard of that didn't was a /6 plain Jane car and if they were out of 8¼”differentials when car was being assembled at the time.
I think you should be able to use your existing differential and modify gear ratio and/or limited slip as required.

'63-96 8¼” all have 27-spline axles so any of those limited slip carriers will work. 8¼” were used in a lot of Dakotas, B-vans, 1/2 ton pickups and Jeeps.
The Ring/Pinion gear set doesn't care what year 8¼” its from - just as long it is not from the front differential on a 4*4 (gears cut reverse direction) or from a IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) vehicle.
BudW

Back