87 Fifth A/C Conversion to R134a

Justwondering

Reaction score
Okay --
Condensor is bad.
Cross threaded at the top bolt hole where the hoses go in, but did not change out the gasket.

Expansion valve (new)
I have a leak there although I did put in new gasket and new bolt with new expansion valve.

So, I'm going to go get the car and bring it home.
Any advice on my two problem areas?
I'm thinking of getting a new condenser to get me through the next 30 years and send this old condenser to the greenhouse to run warm water through so I can keep plants warmer this winter. OR
I can pull the condenser and see if I can rethread the hole.

Expansion valve... I don't know. I'll pull the new one off and see if I can clean the area on the firewall better and reseat it.

Good news is I have a vacuum test kit now, so I should be able to tell if it can hold a vacuum. No vacuum pump, just a test kit.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The ’80 Aspen Wagon at the pull a part here has an A/C condenser (it did hold R-12), but it is an aftermarket replacement which is about ½ the size the OE (Original Equipment) condenser.
R-134a requires as large of an A/C condenser as you can get. This one could work, but I would recommend finding an used OE unit, first.

I have an OE condenser in my garage – but was planning on using it when I convert my Aspen (from no A/C) to A/C (got a few more parts to gather, many of which came from above mentioned Aspen).

I will be seeing member 80 Lebaron Coupe soon (not worked out when, yet), and I suspect he may be in your neck of the woods in route to and/or from here. I wonder if he may have one for sale.

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
I agree about keeping with the bigger condenser since the r134a is less efficient than r12 was.
I've send 80 LeBaron Coupe a PM.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I can vouch that a stock condenser will be more than adequate for R134a. My car can darn near freeze you out on a 90 degree day. In other words, it workd really, really good. :p

You could check with Deconstructor Jim for a condenser. Got mine from him a couple three years ago.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I don't know if I have an extra or not. I wouldn't be able to help you for 2 1/2 weeks as I'm at work. If you still need one then PM me and I'll go check my parts cars.

Justwondering

Reaction score
thanks -- will see what develops over the next two weeks.
We are supposed to have rain for the next 7 to 8 days. With no garage, that means I'm at least a week away from looking at things (dang it).

Justwondering

Reaction score
Aspen500 - in another thread for an 88 FA you mentioned that a r134a conversion should include swapping out the low pressure switch on the expansion valve to be a low/high pressure switch...

I just reused my old low pressure switch... are you saying I should get a replacement that does low & high?

Aspen500

Reaction score
It would be a good idea to get a trinary switch that opens at both low and high pressure. It's more of a safety thing than for A/C performance. The pressures with R134a are quite a bit higher than with R12. The switch looks the same, screws into the same spot and uses the same wiring and connector.

What I mean by higher is if R12 had (for example) a high side pressure of 170 psi at a given ambient air temp, R134a might be closer to 200 psi at the same ambient temperature. R134a can also go to a lower low side pressure, like 6-15 psi vs R12 at 12-18 psi. A larger difference between high side and suction side pressure will give better cooling. I'm not sure if the replacement trinary switches, basically made for R134a conversions, allows a lower pressure before shutting the compressor off or not. My car gives high 30's for air outlet temp on average but doesn't cycle the clutch. It's engaged all the time with A/C, MAX or DEF selected. The regulation is done by the expansion valve so the trinary has to be a lower cut off than 10 psi where a binary R12 would be around 18-20 or so. All has to do with the latent heat of evaporation, etc, etc, blah, blah, technical jargon, blah, blah. LOL

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well, I have to order an accumulator and new orifice tube for the suburban, so I might as well get a new switch for the fifth avenue.

lowbudget said he might have an extra condenser for the fifth avenue in his stash and would check when he cycles back off shift in a couple of weeks.

Eventually, I'll get all the bits and pieces to get everything working again.

Thanks for the info.

Back