904 Transmission Rebuild

Zeph_L

Reaction score
Recently my 904 transmission for my Slant 6 Diplomat died, and I'm looking to get it rebuilt. Anyone have a rough estimate as to what it would cost? I've found rebuild kits online in the $100-$200 range, but I have little experience with transmissions and am hoping to take it somewhere to get it done.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
I had 1 done about a year ago by a trusted fried that was able to dyno test it to make sure everything is running correctly, Cost me right @ $700.00.

Camtron

Reaction score
Around me most shops are wanting $1,000+ for rebuild’s depending on what all is wrong and needing to be replaced.
For as much as you’ll pay someone else to do it, you could do it yourself, buy whatever tools you may not have and learn a new skill that could literally pay the bills…You could be the Mopar trans guy in your area with just a little practice, lol

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
You could just buy a core for $100 and see what happens. 904 Cores are $75-$100 bucks around here

Camtron

Reaction score
I’ve spoken to some of the transmission shops in my are and the cheapest I’ve found is $1300
Yea, short of knowing a guy, $1,300 is pretty average price wise.
Grab a 904 rebuild manual. There’s a couple of them, they’re both as helpful as the other so doesn’t matter what one you grab. Read, watch some YouTube videos and go for it. These are about as easy as they come to learn and parts aren’t terribly priced if you need hard parts asides a clutch and seal kit.

You can do it.

Back