A body super stock spring 003

slickwillie

Reaction score
Is it possible to install a set of A-body super stock springs in a M-body? I picked up a clean 87 5th Ave and I have a spare set of ss/003 springs. The ones in my 5th are shot.

IMG_5074.jpeg

SRTMirada

Reaction score
You can make them fit by modifying the brackets and shackles but I don't think you'll like the result. They're intended for drag racing.

slickwillie

Reaction score
I bought a set and put them on my 69 dart. When they sent them, they sent 3 springs only charged me for 2, so I have an extra 003. I figured with the 20” front it would be too short. What do yall recommend? The 5th sags pretty bad.
IMG_4866.jpeg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
New stock style 5 leafs from any source are good. Either from one of the normal online sources or any local spring shop should be able to provide them. Any decent local spring shop should also be able to fix up the originals and add a leaf if you want it usually for less then new springs cost.

Camtron

Reaction score
5 leafs from General Spring KC, Espo or local shop.
Good time to ditch the rear ISO bushing set up and get B-body shock plates and shocks to improve ride quality/handling even further and open up a much larger selection of shocks.

slickwillie

Reaction score
I sold the gray one a few years ago. I have the white one now. I have a b body 8 3/4 rearend out of a 68 charger, would this work on the car?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I think that is one of the ones that fits. Just need to shorten driveshaft and change speedo gear.

Camtron

Reaction score
Cool thanks! What would i need to run for gears? I have a 742 w/ 3.23 suregrip.
27” factory tires with 3.23 gear ratio, you’d need a speedometer gear with 32 teeth for the speedometer to read correctly.

IMG_7751.jpeg

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
There is (or rather was) a MP fix for that: extra long spring front eye to chassis mounting bracket that allowed the use of SS springs in our rides.

You can occasinally find these on eBag or forums, search for MP part# P4120080.

Aspen500

Reaction score
.Mancini and Firm Feel have versions of the extended spring hangers. I checked MP and "Not available at this time, future availability unknown" I take that to mean never.

Destroyer556

Reaction score
What about B-Body Super Stock springs? I'm curious myself, as I'd like to install them on my 85 Gran Fury.
Ironically, I used A-Body SS springs on my 63 Dodge Coronet Wagon, as they were the correct size for that year.

Back