a little problem

UNKIE

Reaction score
I've been having a problem since I have owned this car that the driver's door just doesn't want to shut right. I have done everything that I learned from Donald Brown back when I worked at his Bodyshop in the 80s. I the kid said that had the car before me. Had put a different door hinge on it and I don't know if it's the shims or what. but between that and thinking that I have to overhale the trans because he drove it from one side of Canadia to the other with a bad pump seal and low cherry juice now she shudders on acceleration. I guess that I'll just have to make room in the garage to yank and o/h or just r/r.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Maybe the latch is bad? When you say it doesn`t shut right do you mean it pops back when closing? Is the striker wore out? Are you aware that the striker can be adjusted.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Hinge pin is probably worn. Got a buddy with a lathe that turned me a new one when I had that issue.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
How does it not shut right?
One of mine the hinge is shot and the door drops when you open it. You can then cause more problems if you try to adjust the hinge instead of fixing the actual problem.

UNKIE

Reaction score
One of mine the hinge is shot and the door drops when you open it. You can then cause more problems if you try to adjust the hinge instead of fixing the actual problem.
I think the guy just slapped a replacement door hinge on it from another M body Mopar and didn't bother to either shim her right or just called it a day. The striker looks like crap and the window regulator isn't working right. I haven't taken the door panel off yet to check that I assume it's due to him slamming it. You may have seen the one that's on YouTube the white Caravell with the red top and the tall kid with that cowboy hat I think it was that's the Caravelle I have I can't explain why I got it except that I just like the boat tail coupes and I was up real late and wasn't thinking right.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Many many years ago when I worked a chevy dealer and I had a Camaro at the time. The drivers door sagged and dropped down after opening and was hard to close . One of the body men said I can fix it in two minutes. I said go for it. He placed a piece of wood under the lower door edge and took a floor jack and jacked the door while it was still open. Of course it bent the hinge but the door closed great after that. LOL

UNKIE

Reaction score
No, this thing doesn't wiggle much at all. I'm just trying to figure out what I might be missing on this thing at one of my neighbors she used to work at a Body Shop tell me this well you gotta take the fenders and all off no I don't think so so we should do it different than at at Donald brown I did my charger doors and they were hanging down all I did with that was just replaced the pin but these look like they got new pins in them and also in the passenger side you just barely flick it and it shuts like it's brand new I think the kid just screwed up when he hung this door hinge. I'm thinking I may have to put some shims behind a lower hinge or something and figure this out they don't look like it has shims in there at all I could try taking the top ones out and seeing if that works but looks like I can go in defender well and get to all the bolts because I can just undo the plastic part of the inner Fender well and just fold it back and I can get in there with the believe it's a 9 /16 5/8bolt

20220726_132912.jpg

20220726_132827.jpg

20220726_132904.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Yes you can get in there from the wheel no need to remove the fender. There shouldn't be any shims, that's GM thinking. Maybe they bolted it together without trying to adjust anything so one of the hinges is binding. Or if they only replaced one hinge they might have adjusted the other one to compensate for worn pins and didn't adjust it back when they replaced the other one? Either way unless something is worn out it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

UNKIE

Reaction score
I guess that I'll give that a shot if I can get someone to watch the grandchildren tomorrow. I have to do this stuff on the street even in my garage can't get it in too much junk buddies Harley and stuff. thank you for ensuring me that I could go through the finder well as I thought.

Back