Al Capones Wife's Packard-Atlanta

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5355664573.html
alc.jpg
alc2.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
If that body plate is the only provenance, no serious collector will touch it. The plate is clearly a fake. It's not even the correct tag used '29-'31. The '30 VIN plate only had three stamped areas, not four:
[VEHICLE NUMBER]
[DATE]
[DELIVERED BY]
and did not have Packard's "circle around a hex" logo on the right, only the name, with the "Ask the Man Who Owns One" logo to the left. The tag in the picture was used later in the 1930s.
The stamping was done by hand. When you see a perfectly-typed VIN plate, it's a reproduction. Originals are messy, and often have one or more O or 0 stamped sideways, or letters/numerals made from two stamps using other dies (making a "4" out of three "I" stampings, for example), as early security measures. The dealer might have had a custom, one-piece stamp for their name, but that was somewhat rare. It would not include a customer's name and almost never made such a perfect impression--after all, it was still a guy with a hammer hitting it.

Pack-dataPlate.jpg
Pack-dataPlate2.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
Carbuzz is a clickbait site more interested in advertising dollars than facts, and they only evidence they're presenting is the clearly-faked firewall tag.

Please read my previous post again, then refute any facts/photos I posted that show the car is very obviously a total fake.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Both sites you linked date to the same general time frame (2013) and appear to use the same source material. Here's what a '37 Packard VIN tag looks like:

Packard VIN Plate.jpg

Now, go back and look at the genuine '29 & '30 VIN plates, plus the way-too-perfect fake. See the problems?

Capone would not have had the car in his name. Al was a smart guy. He didn't own things, he owned people. It's well known that both his armored Cadillacs were sold under, and registered in, Mae's name. She also "owned" his houses. When he got busted for tax evasion, the government could not confiscate any of it.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Both sites you linked date to the same general time frame (2013) and appear to use the same source material. Here's what a '37 Packard VIN tag looks like:

View attachment 12836

Now, go back and look at the genuine '29 & '30 VIN plates, plus the way-too-perfect fake. See the problems?

Capone would not have had the car in his name. Al was a smart guy. He didn't own things, he owned people. It's well known that both his armored Cadillacs were sold under, and registered in, Mae's name. She also "owned" his houses. When he got busted for tax evasion, the government could not confiscate any of it.
That was on my birthday!! Well... some 30 odd years before it.

I guess there's no point in buying that and checking if the seats are stuffed with silver certificates then..

Back