aluminum wheel torque PSA

ramenth

Reaction score
You've heard it discussed, maybe even talked about it with your buddies.

Tire shops give you a receipt with a disclaimer on it saying your wheels must be re-torqued after so many miles, if you fail to do so, and the wheel falls off it's not their fault.

Once upon a time I had to take some training through TIA (Tire Industry of America) and had a boss who was absolutely fanatical about following all the guidelines. Now that I'm my own boss (again) I'm pretty fanatical about it, too. Taking the time to follow these simple steps will save me a headache in liability later on.

So, what's the deal with re-torquing anyway? Put aluminum against steel and what have you got? One simple word: corrosion. That corrosion acts like a sponge. You get the wheel torqued down to spec only to have it wobble loose a little while later, that's because the corrosion has absorbed your torque values and actually kept the lugs from tightening properly. Because the corrosion isn't a true mating surface, either, the wheel isn't seating flat on the facing of the rotor or drum, allowing your torque values to be all over the place.

I was doing a tire rotation on an '04 Jag the other day and decided to take these pics as a PSA.

The first two pics are of the corrosion:

125.jpg

126.jpg

I like to use something soft, to clean the surfaces, like a 3M Roloc Clean and Strip disk on the wheel and this little jewel on the rotor:

3M_7547_Brake_Hub_Cleaning_lg.jpg

The above tool can be chucked in an air grinder or drill and slips over the lug studs to clean around 'em.

My former boss used to keep a cupped wire wheel on a large electric grinder for the wheel and the hub surface.

This pic is cleaning the corrosion off the wheel for comparison's sake:

129.jpg

These are of the mating surfaces all cleaned up and ready to go.

127.jpg

128.jpg

If you've got drums the process is even easier. You can pop the drum off and you don't have to work around the lugs studs.

Remember, too, folks that the torque on the wheels needs to be a dry torque. Anti-seize isn't recommended on the mating surfaces by TIA, as the anti-seize can be just like the corrosion.

For suspenders and belts sake, if you're really wanting to go the next step, hand torque everything. I personally use torque sticks, but I have a big impact and a compressor that can back it up.

125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

129.jpg

128.jpg

3M_7547_Brake_Hub_Cleaning_lg.jpg

Last edited:

klb6469

Reaction score
The reason some shops put that disclaimer on their work orders, is that they dont take the time to do the job the correct way.
Your taking the time to do the job right. Clean wheel, clean hub= happy customer, and a wheel not wanting to go its own way. And your customer come back with problems is very slight.
Those pics should be a posterboard for most shops, showing the proper way to clean aluminum wheels and hubs/ all mating surfaces.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Not a real big fan of aluminium wheels here . I've lost them off the front and the back of 2 different vehicles. my own fault I admit . I didn't take the time to retighten them .

slant6billy

Reaction score
I like the wire wheel idea. I had a friend use Anti-seize on a boat trailer wheel lug and as you can guess the studs cracked and we were sitting ugly on the road. I noticed a little used motor oil run in on a chaser help the lugs from corroding. I also put some oil on the flange face- a little is all you need.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Thanks Robert, great info.
Just wondering, is that an issue on steels too? Or just an aluminum thing?

Thanks.

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
Hey Robert, I was taught about this years ago by a retired AF mechanic in Ohio. He had me clean the contact area's and wheel studs, then use just a smear of boat trailer grease (holy monkey is that some tenacious stuff!) on those parts. I don't live in the rust belt anymore, but still employ this trick to keep corrosion at bay.

droptop

Reaction score
I will always put a light coat of anti seize on right after cleaning both surfaces. You only have to use a porta power one time to get a wheel off and you will never forget it. Torque and re-torque after 10 miles, and you woun't have any problems.

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks Robert, great info.
Just wondering, is that an issue on steels too? Or just an aluminum thing?

Thanks.

Just a problem with aluminum. Steel wheels you can slam on and forget 'em.

One of the issues here is the aluminum against steel becomes a sacrificial metal.

Steel on steel doesn't have that issue.

Back