Ampmeter changeout info quest

slant6billy

Reaction score
I stumbled onto an old thread, but then lost web address. The topic was how the ampmeter on mopar cars and trucks could be a source of problems and that it was a dummy gauge since the alternator was not current governed (unlike a generator). Anyone have the info to remove the circuit (source of problems) and/ or replace with Voltage meter?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks. That's in the direction I'm looking at. There is one where the feed wire from the Alternator to the battery (charging circuit) shows where to hook the voltmeter.

compubert

Reaction score
Ammeter bypass article and others

Not sure what car you are modifying but I have a diagram for aspen/volare in around 76 to 80 if i remember right.
There was some good stuff on slantsix.org too. If I can find the links I will post... thanks ..Bert.
AP6 WIRING BALLAST RESISTOR.jpg

BOSCHHEIWITHRELAY.gif

AP6 WIRING BALLAST RESISTOR.jpg

Last edited:

Mcfly68

Reaction score
Double check your wiring diagrams..I know my 79 isnt done like the older mopes...it is just a shunt on its own between splices R6 and A1,the main vehicle power isnt run through it before going to the rest of the vehicle..it got isolated from the rest of the electrical system in the cars..the trucks where still done the old way though...so the links above wont work

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Double check your wiring diagrams..I know my 79 isnt done like the older mopes...it is just a shunt on its own between splices R6 and A1,the main vehicle power isnt run through it before going to the rest of the vehicle..it got isolated from the rest of the electrical system in the cars..the trucks where still done the old way though...so the links above wont work

I was throwing darts at the board.....
Good to see you on the scene.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I may have to document my 79 and post what I find. I thought about using the clock space for the voltmeter (like the duty cars). That one link above had me thinking to get creative. A Sunpro volt gauge trimmed to fit the factory amp gauge spot in the instrument cluster. I may go further and experiment on an 85 mph speedo, thus mock up of a new tach/speedo cluster

compubert

Reaction score
Sorry all, that HEI diagram wasnt supposed to get attached. . .

Back