Anyone else like to garden?

ramenth

Reaction score
After this winter I've been itching to get into the garden, the flower gardens and the veggie garden.

The grass is greening up nicely, after being scalped last year by a kind neighbor who was repaying a "favor," (said "thank you" through grit teeth...) and it finely coming back nice and thick, nice and green.

Got the veggie garden tilled up and ready to plant out the new plants and seeds we got for it. Peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, beans, squash. The wife likes to can, so I know none of it goes to waste.

A new blueberry bush is in, as well as a new grape vine, and two new roses to replace two we lost over the winter. The hanging baskets are planted and over the patio. The daffodils and tulips have been up and gone now, but have gone to seed and are spreading. The lillies, the glads, and the irises are popping up and going to town.

The yard and the gardens are my way of relaxing after dealing with uncooperative cars (and sometimes owners) throughout the day.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I have two tomatoe and two pepper plants on my front porch...already have had tomatoes and peppers off of them....my back yard is so small the pool takes up the whole thing...

ramenth

Reaction score
veggies are up!

These pics are about a week old, so everything now is about twice as big. Got out yesterday and cut the suckers from the 'maters and wrapped some fencing around the zukes and cukes to keep 'em from overgrowing the habaneros, lettuce and beets. Also did some cultivating and got the ground ready for some fungi-oil on the 'maters. We had a blight here a few years ago that wiped out a lot of tomatoes, including mine. Don't want it to happen again.

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
rhubarb

Got this big guy from my father-in-law. He got a cutting from his dad's farm in Saskatchewan. So, from Canada, to Minnesota, to New York.

028.jpg

This little guy came from a buddy of mine. It took last summer to nurse it to health enough to get it to look like this this year. We'll have fruit from both next year.

029.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
lillies!

These little guys are supposed to reproduce like rabbits and I have this dead space between the garage and the neighbor's fence that's ridiculous to mow and a hassle to weed. So, I planted 'em to see if I can get 'em to just take over the whole area.

027.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Coming soon, pics of the roses in bloom (waiting for 'em to bloom all together, which is a trick, but they're all showing buds), especially pics of the Chrysler Imperial rose. (You know I had to get one of those, right?)

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Does it count that I used to ? My garden was rather large . It was as big as my garage , if not just a tad bigger . I got tired of being " Henny Penny " and stopped sometime back. Now my neighbor is a different story . He just stopped this year . Having a acre of ground , and having 1/2 that in his garden . He gardened all his life selling alot of produce where he worked .

ramenth

Reaction score
Does it count that I used to ? My garden was rather large . It was as big as my garage , if not just a tad bigger . I got tired of being " Henny Penny " and stopped sometime back. Now my neighbor is a different story . He just stopped this year . Having a acre of ground , and having 1/2 that in his garden . He gardened all his life selling alot of produce where he worked .

My vegetable patch is about the size of my garage, and just a tad smaller than the rest of my back yard. I'd say, with it, the rose garden, the side bulb garden, and the wife's back flower garden it's about an equal split between gardens and yard.

A spent a lot of time yesterday on it all. Still yet to fully weed and mulch the side bulb garden, but got the front yard aerated and the front of the house "cleaned up," by washing down the front steps and the side walk, cultivating the roses, the rhubarb, and then the vegetable patch.

But after the last couple of weeks I've had at the shop, with two transmissions in for overhauls, my dad putting a new engine in his Aerostar, a small paint job going on, plus all the "regular" work I do, a hard day of work around the house is just the ticket for me to spend a three day weekend on to relax, unwind, and get ready to do it all over again come Tuesday and beyond.

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
Every year our flower 'amount' goes up a bit- just terraced off the front flower bed (3 levels), got to start on the left side of the hose, and compost/mulch has been freshly spread. Progress is slow, between work and painting the house, can't get it all done as fast as I'd like.

ramenth

Reaction score
can't get it all done as fast as I'd like.

Too many things to do, not enough time in the day. Story of my life. The wife's talking about a vacation, I'm thinking of trying to convince her to stay home so I can get some things done around the house.

Back