Asking for guidence

triplejinc

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have done a few engine swaps before in my chargers and old work-horse trucks. But my 86 Gran Fury is really special to me and do not want to mess anything up on her.

I have swapped the 318 for a 360 but it ummm, kinda went up after embarrassing my brother's '65 454 Impala 5 passes down the 'raceway'. The trans puked too.

I am wondering what kind of engine and trans will slip in the empty engine bay without modifications. I'd like a "B" or even a "RB" in there but do not mind another 360 if that is my limitation.

When I was running small-blocks I was told by every salesperson I have spoken to says that no headers in production will fit under the hood. Are there headers that will fit this car? Big or small block?

Finally, how about changing the rear-end? The stock one is scary to me -this is not a police spec car- and I really want to see something stronger under there.

Thanks for any kind of help someone can provide!!

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
i would stay small and yes they have headers for these cars im sure.
my dad said a body ones will prolly in a f body with minor to no mods. im sure someone could tell u what one fits.

77RTNJ

Reaction score
If you go to Jegs.com they list several different headers that fit. Generally the ones that fit an A also fit the F and M. Anything F M J are the same basic chassis.

Kevin

ramenth

Reaction score
Personally, I'll be running the TTi's on the 360 in my M-. I'll also be using TTi's A-body exhaust system with the X-pipe. Might be a small clearance issue with the A500, but nothing that can't overcome.

Don't worry about the "cop car" spec rear. An 8.25 is an 8.25. The "cop car" spec was nothing more than a Sure-Grip unit. If you're serious about making horsepower they have to be built for it. They're good for 300 horse, maybe 350 in stock form. In my opinion 400 horse is really pushing they're limits before disaster happens.

Another route is to see if you can find an affordable 8.75 65-70 B-body rear. (The keyword is affordable.) Pretty much a bolt in affair, with a few minor mods to the car. No biggy if you know how to weld.

Get the traction to the ground and eliminate the iso's and big rubber eyelets on the rear springs while you're in there.

As far as big block builds, it's a matter of money. You'll still need the trans and a stout rear. Schumacher has the necessary components to make one fit:

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/73UP.html

Even tri-y's to go big block in the F/M/J's. Just get your wallet out.

It's not a hard swap, though, and quite do-able. I've got a buddy who's running a 413 in his '79 Road Runner.

Here's a vid of a big block M.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Qtif3fcTI&feature=related[/ame]

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
If you decide to run a small block , look for these ;

headers2.gif

headers1.gif

Back