Auto inquiry

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
Hello

It's been a while, I know, but as always, old cars create new questions......

I've been driving recently, and noticed a few things.

1.) Every now and then, the trans acts resistive. Specifically, when putting the car in park. Every now and then, illI come to a full stop, and shift from drive to park. Normally, the shifter has a defined fear selection: a solid feeling when shifting. However, it it tends to resist. ItllI go into park, but doesn't have the same solid feel, like something's hanging up. Little effort is needed to shift from park to reverse, compared to normal use. I don't have to pull back as far, or apply much force, and the transmission shifts willingly. I don't think it should, but maybe it's normal? It has over 98 thousand miles on it, never rebuilt (to my knowledge). It doesn't do it often enough to make me really concerned. I fix it by backing up a bit, and then pulling back in. Repeat until it feels normal. I don't know, it's hard to describe without repeating myself over and over. Thoughts?

2.) I just noticed a blotch of trans fluid about 4 inches in diameter, and it's coming from the left side of the transmission. I think it's the neutral switch, but it could be pan. It appears to be original, hard to tell, everything is kind of oily. Could this be related to the previous topic? I haven't noticed the puddle before. I pulled out, and could see a definite red color, so it has to be trans.

Anything severe I should keep my eye out for? I'm putting it on ramps tomorrow, and cleaning it off. Are there any common areas, aside from the neutral switch, that I'm missing?

I know that's a lot, but if you made it this far, thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
Okay, so I think I've found part of the leak. The trans pan was basically soaked, with a large drip beginning to form. I wiped it down, started it up, and cycled through the gears, simulating load in each. The front left corner was damp, so I wiped the whole thing down again, top and bottom. Took it for a spin, and drove up hill for about 1/2 mile. Came back, and there was fluid in the same places.
My book calls for 12.5 lbf. ft torque on a new gasket. What should I apply on this old one?

volare 77

Reaction score
I usually do the pan bolts by feel. I just keep tightening a little at a time and moving from bolt to bolt until they feel snug. Also check the dipstick tube oring. They leak quite often and the fluid travels to other spots.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Is there fluid above the pan rail or just basically from the rail and lower? Above that area is the front band adjustment and they can leak past the threads, especially if the lock nut comes loose. Also, the shift shaft/throttle valve seals can leak. Normally though, those don't leak as much as yours sound like it does. Something to check anyways.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
On the shifting issue. Before doing anything else, adjust the shifter and re-test. There are a couple of different methods to do so, over the years.

Things that can leak on transmission, in that area:
- Transmission pan gasket
- Neutral safety switch (either the switch itself and/or its seal)
- Shift shaft seal
- Kickdown band adjustment stud/nut
- Both/either of the transmission cooler lines or fittings.
- Cracked case (at any of the above locations).

My ’94 Dodge diesel pickup would leak fluid bad out the kickdown adjustment band stud. Sealant and even adding a sealing ring there didn’t stop the leak. Tried about two dozen different methods to fix. I finally gave up and tried to drive truck over a bridge. I didn't make it over the bridge, but did total the truck in the process. I then got a truck with a manual transmission and have been a lot happier sense.

The transmission cooler lines, its fittings (brass) and the case where the fittings go into, can crack and leak. The fitting needs to be removed to check for cracks, sometimes – and when they (sometimes) pop (break in two) is when you know for certain where the leak is at – then you have the fun of extracting the broken brass part from transmission case.

The transmission pan gasket is the most likely source. Get a reusable pan gasket (4295875ac for 904/998/999 or 2464324ac for 727, or compatible) – which is the best gasket to use, and change fluid/filter while your there. They recommend not to use sealant on the reusable pan gasket. Make sure the pan rail is flat before install.
Then, give the underneath a wash, drive a while and recheck.

After cleaned, just dabbing here and there with a clean white paper towel is all you need to look – and if a leak is still present, you will find it.

Other areas transmissions can leak from is: the front pump seal, front pump to case gasket/O-ring, breather, tail housing to case gasket, output shaft seal, speedometer housing and/or cable and the plate gasket under the transmission mount.
BudW

Back