backup braking

Justwondering

Reaction score
the very first thing that comes to my mind is 'better aim so you can hit what you are backing towards' but that would be toooo sarcastic.

could you be a little more specific about the problem? "not very good" covers a lot of territory.

JW

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The brakes are self energizing in forward. Not so in reverse.

mopops

Reaction score
the very first thing that comes to my mind is 'better aim so you can hit what you are backing towards' but that would be toooo sarcastic.

could you be a little more specific about the problem? "not very good" covers a lot of territory.

JW
don't want to stop
The brakes are self energizing in forward. Not so in reverse.
forward works fine

69-

Reaction score
Could be anything.

Take off a rear wheel and the brake drum. Make pictures of drum, brake linings and assembly, post here. :)

mopops

Reaction score
Could be anything.

Take off a rear wheel and the brake drum. Make pictures of drum, brake linings and assembly, post here. :)
did that tryied to cover all bases, all parts were new springs wheel cylinders shoes drums were ok new hoses an steel lines, been doing mechanical work for 60 yrs an never had this problem

69-

Reaction score
Did you slightly grind the edges of the brake pads?
So that there is like a small 45 degree angle at the edges of the brake pads?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Sounds vaguely like pad pushback/knock back that would be more noticeable in reverse

Duke5A

Reaction score
Are you sure the rear brakes are working at all? The adjusters might not be functioning. Also, the shoes are sided. On one pair the friction material doesn't run the length of the shoe like it does on the other. I forget which one is supposed to be installed where (it's been a while). I think the short ones get installed facing the front of the car.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Question, does it feel like you're losing power assist in reverse? Regardless of the rear brakes, the front disc would stop the car in reverse the same as forward, even if the rear drum didn't work at all. Now, that's sssuming the front brakes are working as they should.

You could try clamping off the rear hose and then, carefully, seeing how the car stops moving forward as a test.

Just some ideas anyway.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Like Aspen500 said, the front brakes should work when going in reverse.

The only reason I can think of why they would sorta work going forward and not at all in reverse is if there's an issue with the pads or calipers or wheel bearings in the front having enough slop in them to cause the brakes not to engage enough while reversing. I think it's called pad push off or knock back or something like that.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Pad knock back (pads get pushed away from rotor) doesn't matter which direction you go. It also causes a low pedal on the initial application of the brakes, kind of like after replacing pads, you have to "pump up" the brakes first.

We'll get this figured out one way another!

Back