Bearings

Deano

Reaction score
I have another newbie question. I'm used to swapping out 4x4 hub assemblies and FWD rotors. First time changing them out on a RWD. Do I need to install a bearing race on the outside between the actual bearing and rotor? Do I need to swap them both out? I do know I need to pack the bearings with grease beforehand.

3275779_bca_a17_pri_larg.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, you need a bearing race on both sides of the rotors. Are you installing new rotors? If so, they usually come with races preinstalled. If not, you will need new ones and a driver to put them in. Without a driver, you can drive them in with a hammer and brass punch on the lip of the race. The bearings need to be packed with grease, not just wiped with grease but packed. If you have new bearings that come with races (and the rotors have races already), you can discard the ones that came with the bearings. Also a good idea to put a coating of grease on the bearing bore inside the rotor to prevent any rust. Don't over grease though.
Speaking of grease, don't forget the grease seal on the inner bearing.
When tightening the spindle nut, go to about 20 ft lbs or so while turning the rotor, to seat the bearings. Then back it off and tighten finger tight, or just a hair more, before putting the stamped retainer on. Unlike sealed ball bearing hubs that need 180-240 ft lbs of preload or more, tapered bearings shouldn't have much, if any, preload. The retainer can be made to line up with the cotter pin hole by trying it on the nut in different positions. The slots are offset. Them of course, install the cotter pin and cap.

Just realized, maybe you are only changing the bearings and not the rotors? If so, then it's a good idea to drive the old races out and install the new ones that came with the bearings.

Deano

Reaction score
I'm putting new rotors, calipers, pads, and hoses on both sides. I've already done it but I haven't even had the car started for a week or so, so whatever I've done (or forgot to do) I can easily do or undo whatever it is.
I did clean and pack the old outer bearings and wiped the old grease off the inner seal and put new grease on it. Greased the spindle a little and put a little extra on the inside of the dust cap just for good measure.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Seems about right. Too much grease isn't a good thing. It'll end up oozing out the seal and contaminating the brakes but a little extra is fine:cool:

Deano

Reaction score
Thanks, my friend. Your help has, umm , helped me quite a bit with getting Ol' Blue on the road.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Just to add, if you have Timken bearings (Made in USA) I typically pop out the Chinese races that come preinstalled with new rotors and drive in the Timken pieces. Gives me warm fuzzies.

Back