Best carb for de-leanburn

TNmike

Reaction score
At some point I am planning to de-leanburn my 79 Dip with 318. The leanburn is working fine at this point but if it fails you can't just walk in NAPA and get a new spark control unit. If I stay with the 2-bbl I was wondering what year carb you recommend as a replacement. I know many of you have been there / done that, so I know you can help me out. Thanks

Aspen500

Reaction score
Well actually,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can, at least at CARQUEST. Yeah I know, you can't just walk in and get it, has to be ordered......
http://www.carquest.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subcategory__10151_-1_10651_10220

Pretty much any carburetor from a non Lean Burn or Electronic Spark Control 318 car will work. Seems to me though, if memory serves, when I took the malfunctioning Electronic Spark Control off the '79 Cordoba (360 2 brl) I had years ago, I only had to convert the ignition and kept the same carb that came with the car. Don't recall it having anything like a mixture control solenoid or other computer controlled parts.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It depends on car and mostly year.
Some lean burn cars (80's) had either a Holley 2280 or 6280
The 6280 had the electronics the 2280 didn't.
I know quite a few Fifth Aves got a 6280 but mine has the 2280 so if I ditched the lean burn I could keep that carb as far as I know.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
My $.02 -- If the lean burn is working, don't worry about it. In my experience, a bad computer will rarely strand you, but they will go into limp mode. Basically, the computer has a back-up that will provide fixed timing. The car will be drivable, but you'll notice drivability issues, a significant gas-millage drop, and potentially some pinging.

But - to directly answer your question, most any carb that A) Fits, B) has a flow of between 400 and 700 CFM, and C) Has a ported vacuum port. Since you'll be depending on the distributor to handle all the timing functions, it's important to have a carb that can send a ported-vacuum signal to the distributor. Many versions of the Lean Burn carb do not have this port.

Last edited:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
PS: I fell in love with Carter AFBs. Soooo easy to tune. Big knobs to adjust the mixture, didn't even need a screwdriver!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I think the carter bbd

Both my slants have BBD's.
I believe they stopped using those by 79-80?
I could be off on the years.

My $.02 -- If the lean burn is working, don't worry about it. In my experience, a bad computer will rarely stand you, but they will go into limp mode. Basically, the computer has a back-up that will provide fixed timing. The car will be drivable, but you'll notice drivability issues, a significant gas-millage drop, and potentially some pinging.

But - to directly answer your question, most any carb that A) Fits, B) has a flow of between 400 and 700 CFM, and C) Has a ported vacuum port. Since you'll be depending on the distributor to handle all the timing functions, it's important to have a carb that can send a ported-vacuum signal to the distributor. Many versions of the Lean Burn carb do not have this port.

Agreed.

PS: I fell in love with Carter AFBs. Soooo easy to tune. Big knobs to adjust the mixture, didn't even need a screwdriver!

Wouldn't that require a 4bbl intake?

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Captain: Yep... Since AFB stands for Aluminum Four Barrel. Sooooo, take that off your list for a quicky-swap.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
So ultimately any 2bbl that will fit and has a port for the vac advance distributor that you'd need with a suitable cfm rating.

A cheap route would be a boneyard 2280 but that may need a rebuild.

Going with new I'm sure Summit or any reputable store could set you up by cross referencing your car.

I couldn't see the one that Aspen500 posted because the dang site wants me to fill out location forms first.......technology.

Last edited:

BHA43

Reaction score
This is my favorite Carter came on about75-78 318 pickups and vans. Easy to work on kits avail. They had adjustable metering rods.
carter 2bbl.jpg

carter 2bbl.jpg

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
4bbl to 2bbl adapters are available. cheaper than buying a 4bbl intake. I know its not ideal but with a drop plate air cleaner it can work at least for temporary.

Back