Budget Build Daily Lebron!

mopower76

Reaction score
Hey All!

I’ve had multiple threads going about Lebron, my 1979 Chrysler Lebaron Medallion 318/904 that I saved from being scrapped for $300 bucks about 5 weeks ago.

Lebron is because thats what every parts kid calls it when looking up parts even after I’ve just told them it’s a Chrysler Lebaron!

At first I was calling it Dirty-G (Dirty Grandma!) but Lebron really stuck!

Long story short-
Lebron was advertised on OfferUp for $500 and Pops and I flew down to Tuscon to grab it.
It haven’t been driven in years but the engine turned over with a brake over bar. The PO lost the keys so he offered it to me for $300 so home it came!

It’s super solid everywhere (I’m guessing there is lots of rust under the padded vinyl top but it’s getting removed anyway!)

This thing is loaded!
Power windows
Power locks
Cruise control
Power dr seat
AC
Trunk release
Wiper Delay
15” styled Ralley wheels

Needless to say my other M Bodies have been kinda strippers so I’m excited about one that’s loaded, even if it’s seen much better days.

I’m building this Lebanon to be my daily work vehicle so I can keep the miles and bodyshop funk out of my truck. And I’m trying to build it on a budget so I’m making do with as much as possible and just improving cosmetics now that I’ve gotten through most of the reliability/drivability issues behind me. (Kind of!)

I’m looking for advice and opinions!

I’ve got a vision of how I would like to see Lebron when it’s finished and I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys think along the way!

Thanks and Let’s Go!!

1DDE3E21-7149-40B0-A870-0641E43A323C.jpeg

CADD5F88-66FA-47D1-BAD3-95B945AF5DBB.jpeg

5C8B19A8-5D8B-4879-A6D4-2F0D7B4FE174.jpeg

mopower76

Reaction score
So when I got it home I got right to work!
I got the car up on jackstands and like every abandoned old Mopar I drag home I steam cleaned/pressure washed/degreased the entire underside, door jambs and under hood so that when I’m working on it at least it’s cleaner!

After giving it some basic checks I dumped gas into the carb and she fired to life! It definitely didn’t sound goor or run well at all.

So a basic tune up and timing set it was actually running smooth-ish. Seemed to have a vacuum leak and possibly a burned valve, but it was much improved! After checking the front suspension and brakes all around it was time for a test drive! A short lived, one block test drive… then 0 oil pressure.

Time to get at it! Pulled the intake, valve covers and oil pan.NEVER seen carbon build up like this thing… Replaced oil pump with a sealed power HV pump and replaced the rear main seal while I was in there.
Reassembled fully and went to get engine up on TDC and it was locked up!!!

Pulled pan again, removed pump and it was defective, hard turning. Sent it back to RockAuto and ordered a Melling HV and reinstalled everything…
Started and ran and died, burned a fuse-able link which led to a so spark no start issue! Plus the rear seal on the oil pan is leaking!!!!

So, got it to start again after replacing fuse-able link, test drive, got good oil pressure (50 psi!) and would not restart upon return and while trying burned same link (run wire) and would not spark after that.

So… After pulling and going through the entire wiring harness repairing and replacing anything that looked damaged or seemed potentially problematic.
After adding and cleaning all grounds and connections it lived again!

Test drive #3 went great except for the trail of oil it left everywhere we went- It’s bad.

Again, pan is off, rear seal folded on the passenger side corner. Waiting for gaskets.

While waiting I got the power locks working, trunk release, wipers, washer pump, replaced the heater control with an extra I had cleaned and rebuilt, trunk light, all dash, door and interior lights. It’s pretty cool that everything in this thing works except for the power windows by they need all of the switches replaced, door receptacles have power so I think they will work also once I locate some decent priced switches.

1B1F698C-064A-4375-84DC-69F8F3F2E16A.jpeg

D8DFA6C0-0549-498C-AD40-67C85118E3C6.jpeg

Back