Budget Suspension Rebuild

brotherGood

Reaction score
They went between the sway bar plate and the perch if I remember correctly. I need to try a different angle shim so I'll be able to verify that when I get back in there and swap em out.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Maybe between the top of the clamp and the perch? I'm not 100% though..Ive not even turned a wrench on that car since January

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The propeller shaft alignment shims look like:
Leaf Spring Shim.png

They go between these two items:
77blueonblue 1579229317660.jpg

and
77blueonblue 1579229320425.jpg

A note: FMJ's use a large hole (as seen by the spacer, as shown), so your alignment shim holes will need to be enlarged a notch (or a dozen).
In this case, the forum member was getting rid of the weak ISO-clamps and going with an older, and much stronger, shock plate (below) and needed something to keep the differential located in place.
7.25 Shock Plate.png

BudW

brotherGood

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to swap out the shims today..it only too about an hour and a half, most of that time fighting with the DS trying to get it lined up with the perch until finally just dropping the axle onto the spring.

Going from 6° to 4° seemed to fix it...and I am quite happy about that. Now, Dad seems to be a bit more motivated to keep it, and continue making it the street/strip toy I was going for.

Back