Catalytic musing

drpreposterous

Reaction score
I'm by-and-large a law-abiding guy, but I'm curious about the possibility of going cat free. I live in a state that does not require emissions testing (Michigan). Would you ever succumb to the temptation of removing your catalytic converters? How much of a performance and fuel economy difference would it make? I'm going to replace my exhaust soon and am just kinda wondering...

CM360

Reaction score
The old style cat is restrictive. The new ones are not. When you figure that a modern motor like 190* and 10* fuel and burns lean..... and the older cars like 160-170* and likes to run richer and no ethanol gas and the cat doesn't start working until the motor gets hot...a well tuned car is clean w/o the cat and runs better. There has always been global warming and I think mother nature can solve this issue like it always has.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I don't recommend violating the Federal law, but on a test vehicle of mine, the cat or cats are, shall we say enhanced by a long piece of pipe and a hammer. The vehicle has a 4 cyl engine with a stock exhaust manifold. The vehicle is driven to reflect how normal highway and local driving is done weekly so to speak. Engine temp at 80mph is lower than factory condition- obviously. Oil consumption is down as well. So there are 2 positives. Negative is bottom end AKA takeoff is not as great since the lack of back pressure is now existing. MPG is higher by 4 to 6 depending on me or my other test drive (wife) is driving it on LIKE road conditions. So cooler temps/ better mpg/ less oil burn but weaker take off.
So if you have a 30 something yearold cat on your FMJ, I suggest upgrading to a newer high flow cat if your motor is close to stock. You'll keep bottom end takeoff torque and run legal and clean. If your motor has some cam upgrade, carb etc - you know where I'm going, run parallel highflow cats like fox body mustang H-pipe (catted), If you have a real beastly motor, then disregard everything I say, you already know what you are doing and don't stop. Stay legal

Mcfly68

Reaction score
Old flat bed cats where restrictive, first gen 3 ways, better but still a little restrictive, modern standard oem still a little restrictive as they have to last 8yrs, 80,000 by law, modern oem performance cats are pretty damn good due to the fact most of those types will never see the 8yr, 80,000 mile mark( if the hellcat at 700hp can use them, 600hp mustangs, 600hp vipers can use them without hurting performance and they are sized to flow more CFM than the motors can generate) and modern high performance cats have next to zero flow restrictions...no reason not to run a new spun cat, especially since any motor cammed is an emissions nightmare with higher HC's than stock due to increased overlap and higher N2O at rpms. A spun cat refers to the outer case being spun therefore much smoother transitions and a true Highflow cat will be 100-300cpi ( cells per inch) with a wound metal substrate instead of ceramic brick...and typically a more expensive cat will be a much better cat as the rare metal loading is typically higher ( platinum, rhodium, palladium, and even gold are very expensive...a 40 dollar cat has very little metal loading)

Last edited:

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Glad I asked, gladder you guys replied!

What a nice primer on the subject! Thanks, guys,
Now, if I may tap your wisdom once more, any good names to consider for new, less restrictive cat?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Only have emission testing in WI in the SE counties (Milwaukee, Kenosha, etc). Even there if it's over a certain age (our cars would all qualify) they are called "emissions exempt" meaning, no testing required. THINK it's maybe anything over 20 years old(?)

Oh and what McFly68 said is excellent info!

My '96 Dakota is a Catco hi-flow, no problems with it. Didn't put it on for flow really, just that my twice replaced under the 8/80 warranty OEM cat was rattling like a can of marbles. Even though it only had 65,000 miles I said screw it and bought the Catco one and put it on. The original lasted to 56,000 miles (rattle-rattle-rattle), the dealer installed replacement OEM started rattling at 59,000, the second replacement under warranty went to 65,000. Now there's 147,000 and still rattle free and functioning according to the OBD-II catalyst monitor. Do I have cats on my Aspen? Nope.

Back