Change AM radio to Retrosound - 79 LeBaron

69-

Reaction score
So, the change is done. As "usual" unfortunately not enough pictures made...
But here's my how-to, hoping it might help someone.

FIRST AND FOREMOST: DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

Then I took off the instrument cluster bezel, removed two screws of the old radio and disconnected the few connections on the rear (it's basically only one connector for 12V and light, one 2-wire for the front speaker and one single wire for the rear speaker.

I hooked up the new radio as follows:
12V (IGN) -> replaced the wire in the connector to the power antenna control box (on the wiring diagrams it is the connector next to the 5A fuse, wires are red and orange).
12V (always on) -> I wired a 2.5mm² (approx. 14 AWG) wire directly from the fuse box (took it off to get to the rear side - just two screws; AGAIN: disconnect the battery FIRST!). In there was a free connector, but 8mm wide, not the usual 6.3mm connectors. That's the same size as is used for head light lamps (had one left over, so, I was lucky).
The power antenna control box (the free connector from IGN above) is now hooked up to the blue antenna output wire of the radio. I have a antenna signal-splitter (for dab+, digital radio in Europe, like Sirius I guess) which draws like 40mA - that's enough for the antenna control box to let the power antenna work as designed. This splitter is connected to the old power-connector (to the old radio), which is kindof the output of the antenna control box.
Ground -> I removed the original ground strap to the radio and crimped a wire with nicer connectors to the radio and connected it to the ground screw right above the ashtray, together with the ground wire to the antenna control box.

Further connectors to the speakers, of course. Retrosound (and possibly others) have a single speaker 4x12 with a stereo connection. It fits upfront under the instrument trim, but I needed to remove the upper instrument trim (11 screws, quite easy though).

USB-inputs for the radio are just hanging down behind the ashtray, for now. I plan to get it into the ashtray, to have it hidden.

I needed the mounting kit RSP-270 for the LeBaron. I had to cut some parts off the mounting plastics, but it works and holds the radio in place with the 2 original screws. Your milage might vary, though.
The radio fits ok'ish into my instrument bezel's opening for the AM radio. I just dont want to widen/increase the bezel's opening, as its edges are extremely straight now. I guess I just cannot do it in that straight quality... If you're good at it, you'll be able to make it a perfect fit.

Other than that, the radio is very cool. Good quality for my needs (no high fidelity needed in an old car anyway, I guess).

_IMG_20210123_150918.jpg

This closeup's legend just refers to the connectors, not the cables!
Radio.png

_IMG_20210123_170817.jpg

69-

Reaction score
As I have replaced the single rear speaker with two speakers for the new radio, I just wanted to add a warning when you pull the rear seat...

The belt's buckles are held to the seat bench with two plastic strips. Their clips have to be opened first, to let the buckles free. I just pulled the bench and broke those strips... :eek:

Other than that - rear speakers installed, sound is ok :)

69-

Reaction score
Haven't measured them, would say approx 10 inches?

Long enough that they come out behind the ashtray.
I plan to route them inside the ash tray. Some Day. :)

Lightning II

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking of doing when I buy my radio too. Since I don’t smoke the ashtray does nothing but hold my charge adapter anyway.

Back