cig lighter in ashtray

slant6billy

Reaction score
Many years ago, the lighter housing came out in hand. I still have the original lighter and housing, but I would think it would just do the same again.

So this afternoon, I went fishing in the dash for the wire. I could not remember where it was, but it was in the bundle with the ashtray light. I had source a better piece, but needed to extend the post that the 12 volt positive attaches to.

I also forgot, it is always hot with 12 volts, regardless of the key position.

So that will come in handy with my float charger. While the car is parked for weather/ cold, I'll have my wall pack 12 volt DC power supply feeding some nice 12 volts into the cigarette lighter and keeping the battery good and primed.

Now, I need to look at power draw of my GPS, camera, handsfree system, since they all will go off the 12 volt source. Plus, my SAT/radio/ MP3 module that I'm squeezing into that old factory 8 track will need a 12 signal for memory. I'll run a switch power input from the factory radio to feed all the junk. Obviously, 36 year old cars were not pulling the electrical wattage these modern devices crave. Might seem like a lot of distraction, but just the opposite, once set in the driveway, I won't take my hands or eyes from the objective of driving. It is all hands free except the driving part.

So beside the cigarette lighter, I'll have an other pigtail in the ashtray off the switched source for all the extra crap.

Back