Did I add too much nitrous? lol

Aspen500

Reaction score
Just my lawnmower. Was out mowing the lawn, mostly to make the leaves disappear, got the money side (part you can see from the street) done and was just starting on the back. All of a sudden the engine quit running and spun down with a death rattle sound. Can only turn the engine back and forth about 300 degrees or so. Pulled the rocker cover off and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,son of a...... Exhaust valve head broke off, the exhaust rocker cracked and the guide cam out with the valve stem. Going to bring my bore scope home from work tomorrow and have a look at the piston top before deciding on a tear down or not. I'll either be at the Honda dealer buying parts or buying a new mower. We'll see. My first Honda went 12 years mowing my 1/2 acre lot with no trouble at all until one very hot day, it did basically the same thing. The valve didn't break, it stuck and bent. That mower was about worn out so didn't even think about it, just replaced it. This one was the same Honda Harmony II except of course a 2009 model vs the 1997 I had before but it broke the exhaust rocker last year, then again this year and now this. Maybe the valve was getting stuck or something like that and that was the cause of the rockers breaking. Who knows. Didn't bother me too much, the rockers are a whole $4.50 and takes about 10 minutes to change and adjust the lash.

I can hear it now. Why a Honda. OK then. Back when I bought the 1st one, I went to look at mowers. I needed one THAT DAY and they had a Snapper. Lawn Boy and Honda. Started each one up. The Snapper and Lawnboy took 3 or 4 pulls each and were noisy, vibrating things. Honda started first pull and made about 1/2 as much noise and was smooth as an electric motor. That's why.

If it's not one thing it's another, right?

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I have a old Toro professional lawnmower that is beaten and abused.
Still starts 1st or 2nd pull as advertised.

It even sat outside during the most brutal winter in 20 yrs.
2nd pull and it fired.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Dad had a lawnboy, it would smoke so bad your think there was a fire. But to this day, that was the longest lasting mower I've seen. Honda makes good power equipment though..

slant6billy

Reaction score
I have a old Toro professional lawnmower that is beaten and abused.
Still starts 1st or 2nd pull as advertised.

It even sat outside during the most brutal winter in 20 yrs.
2nd pull and it fired.

Same here. I have a Toro with a Briggs motor. I think it was bought around 1992 or 3 by my dad. He was meticulous with maintenance and a lawn queer. I treat that briggs like it owes me money. However I only use it 4 times a season. I have a 20 inch non powered reel mower that I use most of the time. It is my environmental duty. Plus I get green credits towards my mopars- HAHAHA Bullshit in my mind I do.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The first Honda replaced a Lawn Boy. One of those old 2 stroke ones. Would always plug up the exhaust ports and I'd have to take the chamber off and clean them out every couple times it was used. Overhauled the engine once, a few years later it was running and then went silent as the crank and blade spun to a stop, lol! Rod broke. A non powered reel mower isn't an option (1/2 acre lot). Getting to the point a self propelled one would be nice (getting old sucks). A rider would be nice too but by the time I did all the areas a rider couldn't go, might as well do the whole thing with the walk behind.

I'm thinking this would be a good time of year to get a smoking deal on a new mower. You know, end of season. I'll bet they'd rather sell one than store it until spring. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Will it be a Honda? Not sure really. Guess the thing to do is go look at them and then decide.

I've always taken care of my equipment (mowers, snowblowers, wheelbarrow, etc). The mower gets washed and dried every time it's used (almost every time), even waxed before winter storage. Change the oil roughly every 20-25 hours and have always used "Genuine Honda Oil". Costs the same as any other brand so why not? Everything is always stored indoors (nice dry shed) Almost seems to me they cheapened them up over the years. The 2009 just doesn't seem as good as the '97 was. The '97 ALWAYS started 1st pull whether it was just used a day ago or if it sat all winter. This one has always needed at least 2 pulls, sometimes 3 or 4. Could be it was just a bad one from the start. Who knows, was it built on a Monday morning? lol

Hmm, Toro you guys say......................

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I have goats on big acreage.
Goats eat the brush, trees, weeds, whatever the deer and wild pigs don't want.
I have an australian shepherd to manage the goats.
Feed the Aussie 1 cup of dog food morning and night.
I have a rifle for the deer and pigs.

Pretty simple.

Master M

Reaction score
It must have one of those auto lowering decks when you are popping wheelies !!

Master M

Reaction score
Like with a lot of things the older stuff seemed to be built to last longer. Unfortunately Honda small engines typically start faster and run smoother than others. I have a couple all original Briggs and Tecumseh small engines from the 60's - 80's that start fast and run excellent..

Back