Edelbrock Intake manifold

slant6billy

Reaction score
So I wanted a Weiand Action Plus for my small block build. However, an Edelbrock performer NIB for 50 bucks may just find its way onto my motor. Any opinions?

I think my goal stays with a basement torque motor using the Edelbrock.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Performer Plus or Performer RPM?
Opinions? Got a Performer Plus on the Aspen (the RPM is too tall, not enough hood clearance with the BB) and it seems to work just fine.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I do not think it is the RPM. It did not look that tall

NoCar340

Reaction score
The standard 2176 Performer is good if you want a bottom-end grunt engine. It makes around 12-20HP less than a stock 360 EGR intake with the standpipe removed, depending on the rest of the engine. Edelbrock gave it small ports so the seat-of-the-pants feeling was like you picked up power, even though you lost it. It does make a little better torque on the bottom end, though.

Gator

Reaction score
Buy it or I will you can't go wrong.gotta love the budget build.more accomplishment comes from sourcing you're own parts and doing as much of the work you're self.

Aspen500

Reaction score
One way of looking at it. Which would you rather have, more low end torque at the expense of high rpm hp or vice versa? On the street, the torque wins out every time. Torque gets you going, hp keeps you going. Personally I'd rather have 0-60 performance than all out top speed. JMO for what it's worth............................

NoCar340

Reaction score
Horsepower = (Torque x RPM)/5252

You pay your money and you take your choice. I'm currently building two very different engines, one under each school of thought (a twin turbo smallblock and a MPFI long-ram 440). Torque is a lot of fun, but unless you're going to shift twice in the process, the car with more HP will always win to 60MPH, all else being equal.

Today's "torquey American V8s", built as the engineers see fit:

Dodge Challenger Hellcat: 707HP, 650lb/ft torque
Mustang GT350: 526HP, 429lb/ft torque
Camaro Z/28: 505HP, 481lb/ft torque
2014 Matco Top Fuel dragster: 10,000+HP, 7,400lb/ft torque

Of most importance? The Mustang is faster to 60MPH than the Z/28 by 0.3 seconds (4.1 v. 4.4, per Motor Trend) despite a glaring torque deficit.

efriedrich

Reaction score
2014 Matco Top Fuel dragster: 10,000+HP, 7,400lb/ft torque
lol That's just fing insane, going to a NHRA event and watching a top fuel rail run down the 1/4 mile is a must see for any true car person, you have to see it to truly understand just how powerful those cars really are.....

efriedrich

Reaction score
Got a Performer Plus on the Aspen (the RPM is too tall, not enough hood clearance with the BB) and it seems to work just fine.

You rascal Aspen500 all this time how did I not know that badass blue Aspen of yours was powered by a thermal nuclear device. How about some engine bay photos. I will have to search some of your posts as I am interested in making a big block M happen..

kkritsilas

Reaction score
lol That's just fing insane, going to a NHRA event and watching a top fuel rail run down the 1/4 mile is a must see for any true car person, you have to see it to truly understand just how powerful those cars really are.....

Note that these are calculated numbers. Engine dynos that can handle 10,000 HP I don't think exist. Even if they did, the dyno run could only go for a few seconds, as dragster engines are not exactly daily driver reliable.

Back