Eliminating vinyl top?

19blockhead72

Reaction score
So I'm considering in the future removing my top on my 1980 Diplomat coupe. I realize the stainless trim will need gone but my concern is around the rear and side glass. I assume I'll have to source the trim for those areas? Any experience or info would be helpful. Thanks!

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I removed the remnants of my 4 door vinyl top. A previous owner had cut the roof off but left all the vinyl on the A and C pillars and around the trim. I took all the trim off, took the vinyl off, cleaned off the glue with a razor blade, sanded it, cleaned it, put 3 coats rustoleum rusty metal primer on, then 3 coats matte black stripe paint. Then I reinstalled the trim.

I don't know if the 2 door vinyl tops are padded or not. Someone with more mopar knowledge would know if the trim would look weird. There's a listing on ebay for the rear trim off a volare but I don't know if there's a difference between 2 door and 4 door rear glass https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-1977-Volare-Volare-fury-rear-window-aluminum-trims-4pc-missing-LH-corner/265120571194?

Camtron

Reaction score
From what I’ve read around the forum/s, the main things are the rivets holding the trim/ vinyl roof on will have to be removed and patched and you’ll need the window trim from a plain steel roof car. I have no idea if the window trim from a sedan M-Body would interchange with a coupe version. It would surprise me not if they did/didn’t either way.

19blockhead72

Reaction score
From what I’ve read around the forum/s, the main things are the rivets holding the trim/ vinyl roof on will have to be removed and patched and you’ll need the window trim from a plain steel roof car. I have no idea if the window trim from a sedan M-Body would interchange with a coupe version. It would surprise me not if they did/didn’t either way.
Yes, I assumed there would be studs of some type holding the trim in place. So as far as parts I would have to source the plane roof glass trim. I'm guessing the back window might be the same as a sedan but the quarter windows will have to be from a coupe? Probably not easy to find I'm guessing...

Camtron

Reaction score
Definitely don’t see a lot of listings for coupe m-body parts, they’re the unicorns of the bunch. Could always attempt to cut, bend and tig/braze weld the trim you have to fit, worst case.

Maybe attempting to find the trim in Mexico/South America but I’m sure that wouldn’t be easy either. They seem to have had more coupe Ms running around than in the states.

mopower76

Reaction score
I did the same thing with my sedan and the trim fit better than I thought it would!
I will be going back and re-doing the roof and filling everything then coating with Raptor liner to look the “vinyl” part from afar. ( I care less what people think, I just want it to be presentable as it is my daily.

IMG_8885.jpeg

Back