Finally made the switch to Mopar

Dodge Aspen R/T 318

Reaction score
Hello everyone, today is a big day for me, I now own a Mopar.In 1966 I used to sneak in hotrod magazines in grade school and look at them when everybody else were doing their studies.I kind of grew up a Chevy guy because that's what everyone seemed to be hotrodding at the time.I owned a few Chevies for they were fairly easy to work on and parts were plentiful and cheaply priced.My friend Dale is a huge Ford guy and ran 351 Clevelands and got me into the Ford scene right up until I bought my Mopar this past week.I will not go back to Chevy or Ford because I've found that the more I studied and read about the Mopar community that they are the most loyal and tight knitted bunch of guys out there and that's something I never got from the other two brands.I'm very proud to be a Mopar owner and am looking to help support the Mopar community.I purchased a 1978 Dodge Aspen R/T clone with a 318 that I have plans to rebuild into a stroker or replace with a 408 stroker and this is definitely going to happen in the very near future.Thank You, Jim.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Mopar: cars for car people
Ford: cars for electricians
GM: made in china

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not meaning to get way off topic but, I was an Audi/VW tech from 2007-2012 (then I GTFO of there), and you want to talk wiring and electrical problems,,,,,,,,they are absolutely terrible. Way worse than even GM and maybe British cars too.

RT 318, you are so right about Mopar people vs the other brands. I noticed that a long time ago. I'm 59 and since the 1st car show I can remeber us going to (maybe 8 or 9 years old), Mopar enthusiasts were different the Ford or GM. AMC was similar to Mopar as I recall. Grew up in a Mopar family, and a car family, (wasvtold my first word was "car") so the die was cast. Yeah I also have a 2008 Mustang for a summer only daily driver. Couldn't afford any Challenger for sale and Camaro was NEVER a consideration. Wanted a newer 2 door rear wheel drive car so that narrows the choices a lot. Had it 5 years so far and zero electrical problems (zero problems period) so not all Ford's are bad. In my defense, I've only ever owned one other non-Mopar. It was a 76 Ford Elite back in the mid 80's, which had no problems either. Geez, got way off on a tangent, sorry!

Dodge Aspen R/T 318

Reaction score
Hey Aspen500, I was pretty much born into the world of Chevies, I don't know if I was a little envious or mabey a little jealous but when I got around the Mopar crowd things were different, more organized, a tighter bunch of guys, and the cars were beautiful to boot...thanks for your response, Jim...

531SuperCoupe

Reaction score
Congrats! We have more fun! A 390 stroker out of that 318 would really wake it up. Keep in mind though, a tired 8 1/4 rear won't like that kind of torque during hard launches without some considerable money thrown at it. Look into an 8 3/4 out of a Coronet, Charger, Satellite etc etc. They are considered "B Body" cars in case you are REALLY new to Mopars. LOL

Dodge Aspen R/T 318

Reaction score
Hey 531, Jim here..my car has a 8 3/4 with 323s and the 1St thing I did this week was pick up a complete center section ready to drop in with 391s..I figured that would be the biggest bang for the buck to get the pretty much stock 318 moving along a little quicker.. I know the most logical thing to do is upgrade to a 360 or a 408 but I'm sticking with the 318 and will build on that platform, why some will say, and I say this, I could afford a 360 but I want to be different and I'm sticking with the 318, if I want a 360 I will buy one, I'm not going radical with the 318, mabey 350 to 400 horse tops...thanks, Jim..

531SuperCoupe

Reaction score
Hey 531, Jim here..my car has a 8 3/4 with 323s and the 1St thing I did this week was pick up a complete center section ready to drop in with 391s..I figured that would be the biggest bang for the buck to get the pretty much stock 318 moving along a little quicker.. I know the most logical thing to do is upgrade to a 360 or a 408 but I'm sticking with the 318 and will build on that platform, why some will say, and I say this, I could afford a 360 but I want to be different and I'm sticking with the 318, if I want a 360 I will buy one, I'm not going radical with the 318, mabey 350 to 400 horse tops...thanks, Jim..
Unless someone did the swap already and installed an 8 3/4 your car would have an 8 1/4.

With the right cam choice a stroker could provide really nice midrange power and low range torque I wouldn't go to 3.91's unless I was thinking track car. 3.23's would make for much better cruise anywhere car. Thats just what I'd do. 350-400HP is the range I'm looking to accomplish as well. All in around 5,500 RPM with 3.23's and a 2500-2800 stall is my target.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Little late to the discussion but certainly you are welcome to the club!

Jim, I think I responded to your other post (re: engine and combo). While I can respect the desire to make the 318 work, you will always face the street "tough love" (or call it reality check) that there is no 'replacement for displacement', unless you take the turbo/boost route.

So from my perpsective:

1) my initial ride was a 318 powered coupe - nice, it was a starting point, I felt like I maxed out on what that little 318 could do: we are talking ported heads, valve job, bumped the static CR to 9.5:1, SpeedPro 214/224 @ 0.050" cam, with "massive" .442/.465 lift, ha ha, (get where I'm going with this???), 2300 stall speed mated up to a 904, with 3.23 out back

2) my next version was a move to a 360 motor - stock bottom end, but the heads were the 2.02/1.60 J-heads, ported (DIY), went up a couple of steps to a Crower 228/238 @0.050" cam, .480/.504 lift (man, I was playing with the "big boys" now LOL, I mean c'mon, over .500" lift here), 2800 stall mated up to a 904 trans, with a 3.55 gear

3) brand new 360 build came next, all fresh stuff, '596 factory castings, heavily ported, HughesEngines 238/244 @0.050" cam, .536/.540 lift on 108LSA, 10:1 static CR, same converter and rear end gearing, results, while still fun were a little dissapointing, meaning: the move from 112 LSA to 108 absolutely came through, but made the car a little harder to enjoy on the street, which is were it spent 95% of it's time

4) same 360 build, but moved to a 4k stall 9.5" converter: oh yeah, now we're cooking with GAS

5) same 360 build, but moved to 3.91 gears: yup, that's just "what the doctor ordered"

6) same 360 build, but moved to 4.10 gears: PERFECTION!!! (for my combo)

7) the next version is based on a stroker build, 408 short block has been all assembled and it's pending me finally being done with the W2 head porting, gone to 10.5:1 static CR, single plane intake, 240/248 @0.050" hydraulic roller cam, .580/.580 lift on 112 LSA) same 4k converter (which I expect to stall higher behind the stroker), kept the 4.10 gearing

...so what's the story here?

Well, pick a goal you are after, and I mean as in: is it 99% street focus with a good behaviour and crispy throttle you are after? Or is it wanting to put the fear into every ricer's heart when they pull up next to you at the light (don't get excited about the stereotyping, Subaru STI Turbo is my dialy driver - and I love it!!!). Achieve that goal, once there, re-define what the next step should be and pursue that.

My mantra has been "speak softly and carry a big stick", so I will tollerate a boat-load of annoying street manners for that rumble and roar of pedal-to-da-metal feeling!

BTW: yikes, sorry if I kidnapped the thread as this is about you and not me after all, you are most welcome to the forum of course and I think you'll find that everyone here is happy to share their experiences with you, even if that means you're going to get a digest of some 25-30 yrs of "trials and tribulations"...ha ha!

Aspen500

Reaction score
......or in my case, 36 years of f-body. Unlike with some, it's the same car for those 36 years. Only other f-body was a '78 Aspen back in 1995, and it was only good as a parts car (Wisconsin + driven year round=RUST). Put it this way, the left rear spring hanger was in the car, pushing the rear seat cushion up about 6".

LSM360

Reaction score
I have to throw some credit to the 8.25 rear. I've put some serious power to a couple without failure. Maybe I've been lucky but two of them have held up to crate engines. First was Magnum 360 making 400 lb/ft of torque and sure grip rear. Granted not a lot of hook up and I wasn't racing the car but never a problem for over 60k miles before I sold it. I'm driving the second one now with stroked 360 dyno'd 469 hp/528 lb/ft torque and again sure grip and not racing but some hard launces now and then and I have fun with it and never a problem. Both AHB Diplomats. You may want to keep eyes open for the right 8.75 but they are also a lot heavier.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Along the lines of what is said above any time I've dealt with 318s I always try to make sure the time and money going into parts is mainly bolt on stuff that could be moved to a 360 when the time comes, because it always has unless I just wanted a driver. The same as why put a lot of time and effort in a 305 when a 350 gets you to the same point.

Back