8.25 SG rear from cop car (6).jpg

8.25 SG rear from cop car (7).jpg

8.25 SG rear from cop car (9).jpg

8.25 SG rear from cop car (13).jpg

8.25 SG rear from cop car (14).jpg

Last edited:

tallhair

Reaction score
Folks I probably posted this diff for too much but I don't know what to ask so if you have a suggestion or experience in what these go for I'd appreciate suggestions.

Please PM offers or a suggested ballpark and I'd appreciate it.

efriedrich

Reaction score
I sold a whole car with a 3.21 8.25 diff for 1k. You maybe lucky to get 100 bucks.

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
Reagrding your question in post #2:

Ultimately, I think your best course of action from a "put money in your pocket" standpoint may be to pull the diff & gears and sell those without the housing. However, you may want to try other venues like Craigslist or Racingjunk where you'd appeal to folks a little closer to you that could pick it up. Shipping is murder on a complete axle, and often kills the sale.

What I did with my last one was post it on the world's favorite auction site with the cover off, showing it was a Sure Grip and with a close-up of the ratio numbers on the ring gear. I was selling it only as the diff & gears to be removed at auction's end. Sure enough, someone asked if I'd sell it complete, and I told them for an extra $75 they could take the whole thing but I wouldn't ship it. The dude drove 200 miles one way just to pick it up as an assembly. I got a little less than your current $400 asking, but there were a lot more of those axles around 10 years ago, too.

tallhair

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Good idea and I am open to offers

When I get get back to the storage this summer I'll pull the cover off and take some pictures

Sooner if someone is interested in it

Shoot me a PM if you are

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
If its from the Diplomat cop car, its most likely either a 2.7 or 2.9. Guessing a 2.9 since it got the SG. I don't think M's ever got anything higher (numerically) than that factory.

I was going to suggest splitting them up too, but clearly was beat to it. If I still lived in Illinois, I'd probably jump on it. You can never have enough spare parts when completely rebuilding a car.

NoCar340

Reaction score
It depends on the year for the gear ratio, I think. Through '80, many of the squad-car axles I've found were 3.21. My '85 was a 2.94, which I've never seen after '82. I don't think I've dealt with an '81 at any point, though.

tallhair

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Hey brothergood is that from Neil Diamond's Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show ?

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
No..lol. my last name is Good. A good friend I worked with, and went to school with coined that nickname, and it's way better than anything else that was floating around. My baseball coach called me "Johnny B".

As far as the radio goes..pre 82 M cops I know nothing about. Post..I know enough to get by on my car..haha. Here's what I can find :

Factory ratios offered down through the years include but are not limited to:

2.26:1 - This ridiculously high ratio was found in later M-bodies.
2.45:1 - This was the most common ratio for 1978-1979 M-bodies.* It also appeared in many fleet cop cars through 1989.
2.94:1 - This was also common. Usually found in M-body police/taxi/fleet cars.
3.23:1 - This highly desirable ratio was not so common in M-bodies

seriksen1994

Reaction score
Good Morning, is this still for sale. I can give you 300 for it and come pick it up from you. I live in northern Illinois. Let me know. Thanks Scott

tallhair

Reaction score
I'll be getting this cover off as soon as I can .. I have 3 locations and they are quite a ways from me so I do the best with what time I have on the ground and prioritize based on who's asking questions on what the most and what's most in my way :).

But I'll get this done as soon as I can and post the info and some pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back