Going rate or fare price of a 440 block

USMCCHAD0311

Reaction score
Just wondering what a fare price is for a 440 block and 727 BB Tranny. Found one in California close to me for:

HAVE 2 COMPLETE MOPAR 440 BIG BLOCK MOTORS MADE IN 1966, AND 1974.
THEY ARE NOT FROM MOTOR HOMES, AND WILL NOT REQUIRE ANY MODIFICATION TO THE HEADS OR WATER PUMP HOUSING TO FIT INTO A CAR.
IF YOU BUY A MOTOR HOME MOTOR, YOU WILL NEED TO CHANGE OUT THE HEADS AND INTAKE MANIFOLD. BOTH MOTORS HAVE BEEN DISASSEMBLED FOR INSPECTION, AND ARE WAITING YOUR BUILD.

THE FIRST ONE WAS MADE IN OCTOBER 1966 (HAS STEEL CRANK), SO IT'S ONE OF THE FIRST 440'S EVER MADE! THE OTHER ONE WAS MADE IN 1974, AND HAS THICKER BLOCK WEBBING AND IMPROVED WATER JACKETS (MAKING IT A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A DRAG OR RACE MOTOR). BOTH MOTORS CAN BE HAD FOR $750, OR $400 EACH. I WOULD PUT THE FORGED CRANK IN THE LATER BLOCK AND STROKE IT TO 500+ CUBES, BUT THAT'S JUST ME.

I'm happy with my 360 but the 440 sounds so much more appealing. I have a spare block out of a 72 dodge .60-over waiting to be built with a set of roller rockers and push-rods with a new set of ceramic chrome coated hooker headers. That's the start of my next 360 I was going to build me a 360 stroker. But was thinking i could do some trading of the 360 parts for the 440 and some parts just a random midnight thought.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
First of all that is un-true about a 440 coming out of a Motor Home. I got one in my Dart. It has a forged crank and six pack rods. I paid 200 bucks twice for a complete motor and tranny. Stay with the 360 stroker.

USMCCHAD0311

Reaction score
Very good point and thank you lol you sold me on staying 360 stroker. I sometimes can't make up my mind from day today lol I have two personalitys when it comes to the motor in my road runner. One day stroker next day more cubic inches lol. I bet I'm not the only fbody guy debatting daily on the choice of what to do next. My 360 I have in my car now is maybe pushing 280 or so horse. So I'm just after more power. I only have maybe 4,000 miles on the motor so I'm taking my time to do the stroker right.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Very good point and thank you lol you sold me on staying 360 stroker. I sometimes can't make up my mind from day today lol I have two personalitys when it comes to the motor in my road runner. One day stroker next day more cubic inches lol. I bet I'm not the only fbody guy debatting daily on the choice of what to do next. My 360 I have in my car now is maybe pushing 280 or so horse. So I'm just after more power. I only have maybe 4,000 miles on the motor so I'm taking my time to do the stroker right.
Go here for a 408 stroker kit...this guy only does mopars...you can get the whole rotating assy for 1200 bucks.

http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/stroker-category.html

streetkit

Reaction score
Actually if you buy an RB engine from an early motorhome it would probably be an industrial 413 that would have the wierdrd heads, ater pump, and manifolds. Some of those engines even made it into 1 ton pick ups as late as 1972. Another vote here for a small block stroker for your car.

Back