Headers, Sure Grip

brotherGood

Reaction score
Ok...first question. I know the A body exhaust kit will work on the fmj platform, what about headers? I know a mini starter is coming regardless, just wondering because its easier for me to pick up a deal on used a body headers, than fmjs.

Secondly, I've got a police rear..2.9 gear, but its not a Sure Grip. I'd like to add SG, where can I look so I'm not breaking the bank on that either?

Thanks

Last edited:

gtsdude

Reaction score
Is this for small block? Almost all small block A body headers are listed as fitting A, F, M and J bodies, especially the cheaper ones. I put A body hooker 5901's on my aspen last year. The sure grips are available at summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4529273/overview/

I have never bought one though, seems like a decent price for a new one, or a cheaper route may be putting a B body 8 3/4 in it, I had one in my aspen, its a bolt in deal.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
i have a question regarding older headers. I picked up a set of small block headers from a Mirada at the junkyard ($20). For $20, even if they are unusable, not a great loss. They are pretty rusty on the outside. What's the best way to clean them up> Use a grinder with a wire brush, or even a sanding disk? Would abrasive (probably sand or aluminum slag) be better? After that, paint them, or get them ceramic coated? Any ideas would be welcome.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Good deal on the headers..this'll open up my swap meet options..lol.

I'm kinda on the fence regarding the 8.75. I've got one being offered to me for a pretty good price, but its the same gear and still an open ratio. So I'd have to pick up an SG unit for that one, then most likely run brake lines again..(expletives following) and decide whether or not to go ahead and up to a 3.23.

At this stage, I'm thinking the 8.25 will be fine..just need both wheels spinning. With any luck, I'll find a heck of a deal on something

Back