Headliner repair

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was able to track down a headliner for my dippy out of a 5th ave. Of course the headliner fabric was drooping so it was removed.When I removed all the trim pieces and sun visors, the corners where the visors mount became a bit brittle and were stuck between the fabric. I was curious if others have came across this situation? How to repair or rebuild torn or ripped areas of the headliner for new fabric. I was going to try and find some similar fabric(paper). Trace the corners and sandwich the areas covered with spray adhesive with some weight on top let dry. I have a few pics of these areas,doesn't really show the brittleness/tears but gives you an idea.Also curious where everyone is finding correct colors for their headliners? or if its just a matter of matching up to the correct color etc. Thanks

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

DCAspen

Reaction score
Fiberglass resin,I had to repair mine in my T-Top car due to the mouse nest,you can sand it smooth when done and cloth cover it.
013.JPG
027.JPG
017.JPG
024.JPG
025.JPG
016.JPG
023.JPG

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The 80s headliners aren't hard like the older ones. i don't see what the problem with the 88 one in those pics. The yellow backing on mine started coming apart at the edges a bit from being rubbed thru the door frame getting it in and out. If anything I used a bit of duct tape on the back to reinforce the worst spots but even left alone nothing was noticable after it was back in place and the last time it was out was close to 20 years ago. Don't go overboard with it, you could make it worse.

88_AHB

Reaction score
Like i said its hard to tell in the pics, just a reference. When i took the sun visors off the mounting area stuck to some to the headliner. Partially pulling/tearing where it sat is the issue. Theres also a few other small tears when uninstalling it happened unfortunately nothing terrible. These headliners sure are brittle.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Mine was very brittle,I had to spray it with water and reshape it using weights.Took awhile to get the right shape but in the end it came out real nice.

Back