Hello from half way across the world

qurtuba

Reaction score
Hello everyone..

My name is Bashar and I live in Bahrain. I used to live, study, and work in the USA for about 16 years then I moved back home. I have been a big fan of Mopars in general and F-bodies in particular, ever since my father bought a brand new 1977 Volare Premier 4-dr. I grew up with that car and I can't imagine life without an F-body, even if my daily driver is something else.

This forum seems like a great place to be since it's concerned with all my favorite Mopars, late 70's early 80's RWD cars. I've owned an Aspen SE 4dr, a 1981 Cordoba (very briefly), and a 1983 Cordoba. Sadly, all of those cars are gone. Now I am the proud owner of a 1977 Volare Premier 4-dr. with a 318 and A904. Still not too sure which rear end it has on there. I've worked on the Aspen I used have, replacing the head gaskets myself, but that's about the extent of my mechanical know-how. So I'm afraid I'll be more of a learner here than profess wisdom on how to rebuild engines and rewire dashboards and such.

I've attached a picture of my car. I hope it shows up ok.

DSC01250.jpg

lowbudget

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Bashar! That's a nice looking car you have.
I'm down the road from you in Kuwait at work for 4 more days, then it's home to the U.S.. I saw an Aspen here at the Sultan Center in Fahaheel. It had been hit it the front as fenders/hood paint didn't match the rest of car. It also had a homemade grille in it that looked pretty good.
It's good to see an F body here in the Middle East.

Thanks Mike

qurtuba

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Mike.

F-bodies, as well as M's and J's for that matter, are becoming extremely rare here in the Gulf. I know of 2 other F-bodies in Bahrain which are in pretty decent condition, a 77 brown Aspen and a 78 or 79 blue Volare I think it was. Haven't seen either on the street in ages. There is one black Fifth Avenue that I see regularly, and an 81-83 black Cordoba. Both look really good, but that's about it. I've had a lot of offers on my car, some going as high as about $13,000, but I'm not selling. Period.

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
Nice car, Bashar- probably an 8 1/4" rear end. And nothing embarassing about not knowing something/having to learn (It's when you stop learning that problems begin), we all have to do it!

qurtuba

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm glad to be here with fellow FMJ enthusiasts.

Bashar

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
He needs that tune in that car. Bashar, you gotta get Detroit Rock City by Kiss in your car. Rock On Dude!

qurtuba

Reaction score
Hi everyone...thanks again for all the great comments and the welcome. I'm glad I'm here.
77kickinaspen, the wheels came from a 1983 Cordoba that I used to own. I sold it back in 2004 when I moved back to Bahrain. I could only afford to ship one car, so I chose the Volare. It was a really tough decision, let me tell you.
The Cordoba got another set of identical wheels, except they were not painted dark grey in the edges like these ones. The other ones I bought from ebay.

Captain Caravelle, you'd be surprised what I listen to in this car...everything from American rock to European pop to Chinese, Russian, Spanish, French, Gaelic, Portuguese... hmm, have I left anything out? Oh yeah, some Arabic stuff too:icon_super:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Right on. As long as you're makin' em turn around as you drive by it's all good. Keep the drive alive!:icon_salut:

Back