Help- Thermostat too small

slant6billy

Reaction score
I was seeing a temperature rise on my Volare' and swung into the Autozone for a new thermostat and gasket. I know the motor is an 85 AHB, but what I forgot was the intake manifold is off an early 70's 340. So the new thermostat is too small of a diameter and falls right into the cooling channel in the intake. The old thermostat was larger, so I guess I'm back to the store with the old one to size it up. I have a few part numbers, but was wondering if someone has the info on mopar smallblocks in regards to the smaller verse larger thermostat. I am talking physical size and not temperature range. Any thoughts?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Lesson here for me to keep track of all the Frankenstein mopar parts on Eve. Now I wonder what the runner on the intake is - assuming it is a bit beefer.

slant6billy

Reaction score
What a ride. The parts store had it on line when I checked. Counter person disagreed. So the run around began. 2 stores later and I got the stat, but not the brand I wanted. It is a Duralast, I wanted Fail-safe. While getting it the counter person was pulled away by the customer service rep ( before she finished my order) WTF. The rep was a real piece of work. So the stat is on, new gasket is on and a little bead of RTV waterpump sealant on either side the gasket. Ill let icure over night and get it going tomorrow. My patience is fried after that ordeal, a week of suck ass work, and a scrounging for some dinner.

slant6billy

Reaction score
pulled by the customer service rep -what?

the dude was a crotchety old bastard and was giving me evil looks the entire time. He mumble something about mopars- I guess he is a hater. He made the counter girl go outside a shoo away someone changing an airfilter in the parkinglot. What's really wrong, as I left, that bastard was raising the hood on a car in the lot - a chevy taho- figures. SCREW the HATERS. Stat is holding. Going for a drive in a few minutes

ramenth

Reaction score
Maybe he's an AZ employee. Don't even get me started. That was your first mistake.

Anything labeled Duralast is junk. That's your second mistake. Go get a Stant.

Back