Holley Sniper

dm330

Reaction score
So my car is finally back in the shop, shop #3 that is and the guy is working on it. I ordered an external fuel pressure regulator to bypass the internal unit at the technician's recommendation, as well as from Sniper installers on other forums and YouTube videos.

Now I'm looking at ignition systems and wondering if I'm better of going to the Mopar electronic ignition or going with this Hyperspark kit from Holley. I'm leaning towards ordering the Hyperspark kit, but wondering if there's any real benefit to it, and also if the distributor will fit in the same location as the current distributor. Here is a picture of the kit. Holley Hyperspark Kit 565-304K

Screenshot 2024-07-07 112039.png

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'm running it on my big block to enable timing control. Works great and making ignition curve changes is easy. But you're not going to see much of a difference if anything over a properly setup distributor for stock application. If have to buy a distributor and pay for it to be curved still then it makes sense to go Hyperspark, but not so much otherwise.

dm330

Reaction score
Thanks for that, that timing control was mainly why I thought of going that route but if it makes more sense to keep my current distributor and go to electronic ignition I might just do that. The engine I'm mostly keeping stock. The only other major change coming will be when I upgrade my differential. That may be another year or 2 down the road. I do wonder, will any additional programming need to be done to the Sniper when I upgrade my rear end? I'll be swapping up to an 8 1/4 with a 3.21 gear ratio.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Do you still have the lean burn distributor? If so, that distributor is locked out and doesn't have an advance mechanism in it. It's explicitly for computer controlled spark. I'm not sure if you can use it with the Sniper.

dm330

Reaction score
That's what's in the car still, I have to double check, but I do think the distributor in the Mopar electronic ignition kit will work with the Sniper, it just won't allow for the Sniper to control the timing. I've seen a mix of opinions on ignition timing when it comes to these, the technician who started the work 3 years ago was going to go with the Mopar kit and the guy working on it now recommends the kit above to take advantage of all the benefits of the Sniper.

Ark

Reaction score
Just cough up the $$$ for Holley's entire ecosystem and call it a day.

Back