Hooray for small miracles.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I've been having a rough go it lately with the car and decided I needed a win, no matter how small. I swapped in an overhead console from a later model year 5A probably 15 years ago. The driver's map light never worked when the doors were opened, but it did work with the button. I remember reading on a forum somewhere in the ether it was due to a bad SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) on the board that powers the map lights. The car may not run, but today I decided to finally do something about it.

20210613_160500.jpg

20210613_160524.jpg

I tested the SCR with a multimeter and found the driver's side to be bad as I had suspected. After replacing it though the light still didn't function. Further screwing around revealed one of those two circled diodes was also bad. After replacing the bad diode this time the light worked. My wife thought I was a damn nutjob when I came into the house happier than a pig in shit that I got a stupid map light to work. After the setbacks (I'll detail these in another thread sometime) I've faced though I'll take a win no matter how small it is.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Ha ha...love it Mark!

I'm battling my own problems with the W2 stroker build...man, when it rains it pours, but the short little times you get an umbrella over your head can make such a day & night difference!

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Cool. I don't think either of mine come on with the doors. One thing to test some time.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Ha ha...love it Mark!

I'm battling my own problems with the W2 stroker build...man, when it rains it pours, but the short little times you get an umbrella over your head can make such a day & night difference!

Yeah, I've been following your threads on Moparts. You can't seem to catch a break either. Going to start carrying an umbrella out to the garage before I even reach for a wrench.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Thanks. It looks simple enough so I'll probably try changing it myself first Some time...
As I said that I just remembered the rearview mirror in that car has lights on it and wondering if they came on with the doors or not...

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been following your threads on Moparts. You can't seem to catch a break either. Going to start carrying an umbrella out to the garage before I even reach for a wrench.
Well, I am happy to report that I just scored such an "umbrella" today!

The missing piston pin from my Mahle Pistion & Ring set...called Mahle, they said "...umm, can't help you there, you need to deal with the retailer...", which I honestly can't blame them for, I'm sure they have processes in place to handle such a thing.

So off I got myself onto the Summit Racing Help line...45 mins of waiting I finally gave up and decided to select the "Push 1 to text the agent". Kind of neat I thought. A couple of hours later I received a text, we chatted for a bit, given that the order is nearly 2 yrs old it didn't look good. But heck, I spent nearly $3k at that time for all the different parts...I mean W2 rocker arms don't come cheap, nor do TTI headers, or does the Borgeson PS box!!!

Perhaps that's what pushed me over the finish line with the agent, but in the end he booked me an order for a replacement piston pin, shipped to my home FREE of charge. It is being drop-shipped from Mahle, so some additional delays may happen, but good to have at least some kind of resolution to the issue. Not a big win, it's a $18 part, but kind of make a little of the "pain" go away...lol!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Summit is really good that way. Many moons ago (like 1990) I bought an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake for my Aspen. Had it sitting, still in the box for over a year before I got around to installing it. I unpacked it and set it on the heads and then DOH! It's too tall and the hood will never close. Called them (this was pre internet) to order an Edelbrock Perf. Plus since it's about stock height. I explained to the agent I had the other intake but it was WAY past the 90 day return/exchange limit and if I could possibly return it, plus a restocking fee or something. He said as long as it was unused and never bolted down, and I had the original packaging they would exchange it with no restocking fee. They even picked up the return shipping costs AND gave me credit since the Plus was priced lower. They didn't have to do that and I never expected that at all. It was one of the first things I'd ever bought from Summit and that day, they had a customer for life. :cool:

Back